Taurus Judge

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by SavageGuy, Mar 7, 2016.

1. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Hey guys,
    There are soooo many opinions of the judge. Or should I say judges as there are multiple......? What do you think? Is it accurate with the .45 LC? Has anyone tried shooting .410 slugs with it? I know .410 isn't very powerful but the idea of shooting it out of a snubby is very appealing to me.....
    But does it spread so quickly so that it isn't effective? Let me know what your experience/opinions are!

2. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Good question, I've been looking at them myself primarily for snake shooting while fishing.

3. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger New Member

A friend had one of the original ones. Pre Taurus
    Dang heavy. Comfort of a brick
    I always called it a solution for no problem
    You can buy snake shot in a caliber for a handgun you already have

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

A friend of mine let me shoot his and I gave it a minus all around. The buck shot pattern spread is really very short lived at like 6'-10' away and the trigger felt like I needed a tow truck to pull it. I actually thought the gun had some sort of safety on when I tried to pull the trigger. It was that hard to pull.
    But as with anything it is just personal choice. Some will love it while some will hate it.

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

While driving around a friends ranch he handed me one loaded with buckshot in case we came across a wild hog. (He was driving).
    All I could think was, hope we don't see any hogs cause this ain't gonna work. :confused:

Like Hairtrigger, that gun seems like a solution in search of a problem.

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I don't own one,
    Never wanted one,

I cant figure out how far from the rifling (jump) that 45LC bullet must be sitting from engaging the forcing cone , being OAL of 1.6".

seems that wouldn't be a good thing,

I guess the .410 shells would not be a problem, as they are 2.25" or 3" to fill the length of the cylinder, unless you have a 3" cylinder , shooting 2.25" shells.

Just a dummies deduction, observation.
    Again I do not own one so I'm just guessing.:)

Jim

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  7. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Like the other responders I do not own one. I have had friends that liked them and know of one judge that recommends them especially for in home defense that wont go through the wall, 410):).

8. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I mean, it would be fun to play with at the local field and some two liters, but really, beyond 10 yards(if That) it seems rather pointless. Or maybe it is pointless. Like you said, an answer desperately looking for a problem. And ya know what? The joke is on us cause everyone's buying em!
    Now, the Taurus Raging Bull on the other hand, with that long barrel and .454/.410? Pretty cool. Except I'd never pay that much for a Taurus.........

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

If I want or need a shotgun...I'll just use a shotgun.

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Seems like it depends on what the diameter of the throats (aka freebores) in the cylinder are. If the groove diameter of the barrel is .451 and the throats are .451, is the throat length a big deal? ( I'm asking here, I dunno.)

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Yes.
    I think it would have to be.

12. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

. Probably the best response yet! Can we all agree that it's a little bit ridiculous to try to turn a snub nose revolver into a shotgun?! It's sounds awesome until you really think about it. I almost bought one!

13. gumpy

gumpy New Member

I've always wanted one, mostly because of snakes. They are bad here. A shotgun is just to bulky to lug around, and I'm afraid of damaging my SR45 with rat shot. ???????

14. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

You can't damage the barrel or the rifling of your barrel with rat shot. Rat shot is lead and the barrel is much much harder and stronger than lead. I shoot my hand loaded rat shot through my guns and it's works great!

15. gumpy

gumpy New Member

That's good to know. Thanks SG.

16. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Yeah, about what Jim said, about the jump the .45 LC has to make from where it's seated to the forcing cone. They make one with a 3" chamber. If the COAL of the .45 LC is 1.6" then that means the bullet has travel 1.4" until it engages the rifling. Does that seem sketchy at all to you? Seems like you'd loose a LOT of pressure and therefore velocity. Ballistics by the inch (bbti) did a test on velocity from guns with differences in the gap with the forcing cone. I'd go to their website and check it out- pretty fascinating stuff. The differences might surprise you!

Hickok45 did a video on 'how not to shoot a revolver' a while back. He held a sheet of paper along side the cylinder if a .44 mag while firing. It shredded the paper. I'm thinking if there is so much space on the judge, theres gonna be a lot of gasses escaping. I burned my hand one time while shooting a .22 revolver the same way. I didn't realize that my hand was by that forcing cone. I only had my hand there once!

We'll, have fun and safe shooting!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  17. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Myth Busters did a video on that and it blew the fingers right off of their dummy hand. When someone is shooting a revolver at my place I tell them all not to even stand beside the person shooting. I have seen when I was shooting off the side of a tree that it blew the bark off the tree.