Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys shoot at? Paper? Steel? Type of paper targets? I've been shooting at the B-27s and bullseye, but i read an article that those fail in what a person should be shooting at for self defense training. The article suggested a target like TQ-19. Thoughts?

Thought this was a good sub-forum, sorry if i was wrong...

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Bowling pins, bottle caps, paper , steel silhouettes, empty propane bottles, wind chime tubes, water jugs....anything I can .

For accuracy and zeroing scopes....paper.

Jim

·
Registered
79 Posts
Juice boxes: they are bright yellow, and at 1.25X3X4 the perfect size to simulate ground squirrels.

I shoot my 204 Ruger mostly. And, even with a really good spotting scope it is impossible to see bullet holes at 300-yds. The fact that the juice boxes explode on impact, makes them fun to shoot.

When I was teaching my daughter to shoot, nothing worked as well as the juice boxes. Paper targets are extremely boring for a seven year old. Clay pigeons were a little better, but still not impressive enough to keep her interest.

The juice boxes and their explosive splat on impact grabbed her attention and held it for years.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Bowling pins, bottle caps, paper , steel silhouettes, empty propane bottles, wind chime tubes, water jugs....anything I can .

For accuracy and zeroing scopes....paper.

Jim
Now you're just bragging. :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
More of Jim's setup. Great guy and great place.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I use a roll of freezer paper that I run a coat hanger through and hang it from top of sand trap stand. I pull a section down and attach to a wire at bottom with a clothes pin. I also use a clothes pin on top roll making the sheet fairly tight. I made a cut out stencil target and I spray paint the stencil 8" bulls eye onto the paper. Can't get much cheaper than this. Shoot up one bulls eye then pull another sheet down and spray it. $1 can paint and $4 roll of freezer paper.
For shooting .22 only I use hanging oak wood wedges. Hit the wedges and have no question if you hit them.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Squirrels make better targets...and they offer more of a challenge...as do chipmunks !! :rolleyes:

One Shot...One Kill !! :cool:
By the time you clean that chipmunk you don't have even an appetizer. Oh I get it. You are a good marksman. One shot no suffering. Looks like between the eyes but a little high. Maybe you need adjust the scope?
I have a sense of humor. It just is a little different.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I use blank pieces of paper to which I attach adhesive 8" splatter targets, I am older and can't see as well as when young so that bright yellow helps.

For plinking practically anything is good but I like old defective cd / dvd. and lots of other assorted bits and pieces.

·
Registered
70 Posts
For defensive type shooting, I'll use a simple torso cardboard cutout for close range, a steel silhouette of a torso for longer range with the AK.
For iron sighted rifles like my US Model 1903 and 30-30 Winchester, I'll use water filled containers mostly.
For my scoped rifle I usually use steel of assorted sizes.
Load development I'll use cardboard with a square drawn on it.

Now that I cast bullets for almost all my firearms, I want to use water jugs and paper so I can recover the lead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts