Targets?

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by helimech26, Jan 20, 2014.

1. helimech26

helimech26 New Member

What do you guys shoot at? Paper? Steel? Type of paper targets? I've been shooting at the B-27s and bullseye, but i read an article that those fail in what a person should be shooting at for self defense training. The article suggested a target like TQ-19. Thoughts?

Thought this was a good sub-forum, sorry if i was wrong...

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Bowling pins, bottle caps, paper , steel silhouettes, empty propane bottles, wind chime tubes, water jugs....anything I can .

For accuracy and zeroing scopes....paper.

[​IMG]

Jim

3. helimech26

helimech26 New Member

That just ain't right! LOL, I wish I had that...

4. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture New Member

Juice boxes: they are bright yellow, and at 1.25X3X4 the perfect size to simulate ground squirrels.

I shoot my 204 Ruger mostly. And, even with a really good spotting scope it is impossible to see bullet holes at 300-yds. The fact that the juice boxes explode on impact, makes them fun to shoot.

When I was teaching my daughter to shoot, nothing worked as well as the juice boxes. Paper targets are extremely boring for a seven year old. Clay pigeons were a little better, but still not impressive enough to keep her interest.

The juice boxes and their explosive splat on impact grabbed her attention and held it for years.

5. helimech26

helimech26 New Member

Juice boxes sound like a great idea!

6. Haugrdr

Haugrdr New Member

Now you're just bragging. :D

7. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

Jim that is just awesome range

8. Haugrdr

Haugrdr New Member

More of Jim's setup. Great guy and great place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. bms375

bms375 New Member

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1402361505.141896.jpg ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1402361524.357858.jpg this is what I shoot at!

10. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I use a roll of freezer paper that I run a coat hanger through and hang it from top of sand trap stand. I pull a section down and attach to a wire at bottom with a clothes pin. I also use a clothes pin on top roll making the sheet fairly tight. I made a cut out stencil target and I spray paint the stencil 8" bulls eye onto the paper. Can't get much cheaper than this. Shoot up one bulls eye then pull another sheet down and spray it. $1 can paint and $4 roll of freezer paper.
    For shooting .22 only I use hanging oak wood wedges. Hit the wedges and have no question if you hit them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Squirrels make better targets...and they offer more of a challenge...as do chipmunks !! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One Shot...One Kill !! :cool:

12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Actually...I do like ringin' steel !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  13. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

By the time you clean that chipmunk you don't have even an appetizer. Oh I get it. You are a good marksman. One shot no suffering. Looks like between the eyes but a little high. Maybe you need adjust the scope?
    I have a sense of humor. It just is a little different.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  14. paulkalman

paulkalman Member

I use blank pieces of paper to which I attach adhesive 8" splatter targets, I am older and can't see as well as when young so that bright yellow helps.

For plinking practically anything is good but I like old defective cd / dvd. and lots of other assorted bits and pieces.

15. Win94ae

Win94ae New Member

For defensive type shooting, I'll use a simple torso cardboard cutout for close range, a steel silhouette of a torso for longer range with the AK.
    For iron sighted rifles like my US Model 1903 and 30-30 Winchester, I'll use water filled containers mostly.
    For my scoped rifle I usually use steel of assorted sizes.
    Load development I'll use cardboard with a square drawn on it.

Now that I cast bullets for almost all my firearms, I want to use water jugs and paper so I can recover the lead.

16. bms375

bms375 New Member

Nice shot shooter13!