Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found myself at Cabelas last week and decided to pick up a Tapco 30 Rd magazine. Tried it out at the range today. The magazine cannot be inserted on a closed bolt. Is this a design feature? I consider it a flaw. Inserting the mag on an open bolt, pulling the handle back and letting go (not riding the handle) resulted in the bolt going almost all the way into battery without picking up a round. Racked it again and it fed a round. FTF after 1st round, 3rd, 6th, and 9th.

Mag detaches and re-inserts cleanly. But it can only be inserted on an open bolt. This alone, for me, is a deal breaker. The FTF's just seal the deal. Think I'm gonna stick Ruger mags. I have 3-20s that have performed flawlessly so far. This Tapco is going back to Cabelas. YMMV.

Last pic shows how much higher the top lips of the Tapco mag (right) are than the Ruger mag.

·
Patriot
2,178 Posts
Yeah, firearm manufacturer mags are the way to go most of the time.
I left an aftermarket mag at the range one time, on purpose... Kinda feel sorry for whoever found it.

:usa:

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Ruger mags are all I've got for mine,I've heard from others that they had trouble with the aftermarket mags so I avoided them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this was posted awhile ago but I just got my tapco mag for my mini and I haven’t had any problems with it. I could put it in with the bolt closed and I shot 150 rounds without a single FTF.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts