Talk to me about a Tokarev

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by phideaux, Sep 9, 2014.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Dont ask me why, but I seen that Classic Arms has somenice Tokarev 7.62X25 , Romainian made , in stock.

I have never shot one, but have been reading about them.

There is not really a ton of info on them, so Im asking foranybody that hasshot them orowns one, to fill me in.

Are they truly as powerful as Ive read?
    Hows the trigger? Everybody says they are very accurate.

Any info will be appreciated.

Jim

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqd1tdHMzjo[/ame]
    ........First video talks about heavy trigger.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQtbNzyO0cE[/ame]
    Maybe you haven't seen these u tubes. 2nd is Hickok45 and he does a good video on this gun.
    For $239 and it is new in box is quite a deal.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014

3. phideaux

Reviving an old thread but..

I have had a hankerin for one of these Tokarevs for quiet a while.

Did my homework, and concluded that out of all of them out there, (Romanian, Norinco, CZ, Polish) I gotta try the Yugo version.That 7.62x25 has gotta be a blast(pun) to shoot.

I placed one on order today, :rolleyes:..

I dont know what it will cost me , if anything, because Im doing some work for him in the store, and he said he would trade me.

The OTD price is $250.

I will post some pics when it gets here.

If any of you guys got any hands on sperience , tell bout it.

Im just getting it to range play with.

Jim

4. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Buy one in the best condition available. Sometimes on the good or shooter's grade like other surplus, need new springs or other tinkering to get them to work reliably. They are popular because they are cheap and one was in a Nick Cage movie, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2401807/ Looks like a 1903 Russian Colt.

I would go for the Polish Radom P-64 9x18 in hand select for $249.95. There are some nice CZs at AIM, Ohio St Armory and Classic too.

5. phideaux

This one is not surplus, it is new mfg Zastava M57 ,9 +1, from Serbia.
    All the rest are 8+1. Thisone has factory thumb safety , not an add on.

Suppose to be very accurate, and from what I read, no problems.

I gotta order some ammo, that aint cheap.:rolleyes:

I picked up a Russian Makarov in perfect condition 9x18 , at a pawn shop for $200 a couple years ago, man, that thing shoots nice.
    Now Ill have a Russian designed Pistol in 7.62x25...:cool:

Jim

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Zastava Arms is a good choice as far as manufacturer Jim...

My Yugoslavian (Serbian) M70AB2 AK is an excellent example of their work...it's built like a tank

The 7.62x25mm cartridge is plentiful in both surplus and new manufacture loadings

focusing around a 85-90 grain bullet traveling anywhere between 1200-1800 fps with muzzle energies

fluctuating between 400-750 ft lbs depending on the loading. A good carry piece and fight stopper...

(...and I know what you mean about the Makarov 9x18mm...I own an East German model built in 1961 )

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  7. phideaux

Thanks buddy,
    I just been wanting to own a Tok for a long time.. just never got around toit. Its the M57 ,new , made in Serbia.
    While at the LGS , I had him check , he said yep, it will be here in a couple days,
    I have never shot that caliber. Im anxious to try it.

Dang, I gotta get some ammo on order..:hammer:

Jim

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I have owned a Zastava M70A, the 9x19 brother of the M57. It functioned reliably. The sights are old-person hopeless, and the trigger was stiff. I sold it to a guy in Arizona who collected Tokes, and bragged on his trigger tuning prowess.

That Is All.

9. SHOOTER13

10. phideaux

My LGS called yesterday to tell me my Tokarev is in.:waving::cool:

Got some ammo ordered, from SGAmmo, been buying (what I dont reload) from them for years,
    Soon as the ammo is here Ill stop and pick up the pistol, and show it to yall.

Jim

11. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

How about that it seems like Christmas in May.

12. SHOOTER13

Lookin' forward to the range report Jim...!!

13. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hey, maybe it'll take a Skinner peep.

14. phideaux

Yep, I finally got over and picked her up .

Feels good in the hand, trigger is light , crisp, but too lonnnng,
    I will be taking care of that, soon.

I like it so far....just gotta get out there put some rounds thru it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim

15. SHOOTER13

Lookin' good Jim !!

Any way of knowing the date of manufacture...?

( My East German Makarov had the date stamped right on the frame...two digits...61 )

16. phideaux

This one is new mfg.
    Import as new from Serbia , mfg by Zastvia.

Never fired.

We are having storms off and on all day, or I would burn some powder.;):)

Jim

17. SHOOTER13

Excellent...let us know how she shoots !!

18. SHOOTER13

Is 7.62×25 Appropriate for Self-Defense ?

7.62×25 Tokarev cartridge is a higher-pressure 1930 update of the 1896 high-velocity 7.63mm Mauser. Originally designed for pistols, it was also used in several submachine guns. As a result, it used mainly medium speed powders and produces a substantial muzzle flash. Most of the ammunition available is military surplus, with thick jackets and great penetration–a predictable product of high velocity and small cross-section. A typical Tokarev-chambered pistol launches 85 grain bullets at around 1400fps at the muzzle. Some surplus and modern factory loads approach 1500fps. In gelatin, that gives a straight line 30-caliber 30+ inch long wound channel that widens only where the bullet flips end over end once. The plus side of the load is its high penetration, sufficient to defeat car body panels and lower-level body armor. The down side is its high penetration, almost guaranteeing that the bullet will exit an unarmored opponent and keep on going. For a defensive round in an urban environment, that’s a liability.

Despite this potential problem, quite a few people carry pistols in 7.62×25. They are relatively inexpensive, robust, and have a diesel punk style to them. The two most popular models are CZ vz.52, a roller-lock delayed blowback Czech pistol, and a TT33, a Soviet locked beech design with very simple lock work.

Serbian-made ( PPU ) Prvi Partisan JHP load is economical enough to be use for carry and occasional practice.

This ammunition proved extremely consistent, with measured velocity always in the 1403-1408fps, even in different weather. It’s behavior in gelatin has been quite consistent as well, with 16″ of straight line penetration and reliable expansion to .45 caliber. For comparison, 45ACP Winchester Ranger SXT also penetrates 16″, though expanding to .90 caliber in the meantime. So we can estimate wound channel of 7.62×25 to be similar to that of 45ACP ball, but with penetration limited to that of hollow point bullets. The smaller, faster bullet produces greater temporary stretch cavity due to the higher impact velocity.

Advantages of 7.62 JHP over 45ACP are capacity for the same magazine size, flatter trajectory, slightly lower felt recoil. The same advantages were cited in support of 38 Super ammunition back in the 1930s. Not surprisingly, one of the export variant of TT33 included a 38 Super barrel as well as a 9mm Luger barrel. Shorter 9mm cartridges required a magazine spacer for reliable feeding, but 38 Super fit just fine. For short-range use with pistols, 45ACP JHP is quite obviously superior to 7.62 JHP in terminal effect. The question is: “With improved ammunition, is 7.62×25 good enough to be considered a practical defensive round?” The answer, based both on gelatin testing and on hog hunting results, seems to be “Oh, very yes!”

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/04/06/7-62x25-self-defense/

19. guncheese

guncheese New Member

i know that some folks have worked out a 1911 Toki conversion
    that would be a awesome round in a 1911
    maybe as much fun as a .22 TCM

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015