Take Down Holding Zero?

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by Papa, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Papa

Papa New Member

I was talking to one of the guys at Dick's about the take down 10/2. He told me that it seems every time you take down rifle the scope would have to be re-zeroed. Anybody else notice this?

2. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

I've never been to big on the advice and knowledge handed out at Dick's, or other chains for that matter.....And I'm not familiar enough with the 10/22 Take Down so I can't say the guy doesn't know. BUT I'd have to look at scope mounts and other issues before declaring it to be a general trait of the model.

3. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

If you want to carry it in the bag then possible .. I just got a nice scope that wasn't to big that would fit. But even on most u can leave out on top of pouch where u slide it and bag will still zip.. I don't zero mine in and it does fine..

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  4. szeichdog

szeichdog New Member

One issue with removing and installing the scope is making sure it's mounted in the exact same position and orientation, and the screws are torqued the same each time. Depending on the scope quality, if the reticle is not perfectly concentric, centered in the optic, if it's rotated even slightly since the last time it was zeroed it will need to be zeroed again. It's not uncommon for inexpensive scopes to lose zero just from the rifle's recoil.

The only issue on the 10/22 takedown is to make sure the barrel/receiver adjustment is made correctly when the rifle is first set up. Back off the barrel adjustment knob, assemble rifle, tighten adjustment knob, disassemble rifle, tighten adjustment knob 1-2 additional clicks. There should be resistance when assembled again assuring the barrel and receiver will now be aligned every time.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  5. Papa

Papa New Member

Since this was the only time that I have heard this ,I am going with the assumption that it was user error. It was not an issue of the scope being removed but taking down the rifle.
    I was thinking about getting one to use for a "Survival Gun" and would most likely put a red dot scope on it.

6. Ashlie78

Ashlie78 New Member

Hey Blaze!!

What scope did you put on your takedown that fits in the bag? Planning on getting one sometime this week, but from what I'm reading it's difficult to find a scope that doesn't have to be removed, if you want to still pack everything back in the bag it comes in?

I was rally thinking about the Nikon Prostaff, but I've read it's to large. :(

Sent from my iPad using Ruger Forum

7. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes that is to large.. I went Thur many of them and went back to a red dot. But there is a way just put stock end with the scope over the pouch it slides in.. That's really only way to get it all to fit properly.

8. Ashlie78

Ashlie78 New Member

Thanks for the info!!

Sent from my iPad using Ruger Forum

9. szeichdog

szeichdog New Member

I've been using the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire on my 10/22 TD. It is extremely bright even in low light conditions out to 100 yds, the farthest I've used it so far. Yes, I have to assemble the rifle before mounting the scope and must remove the scope first before take down. But each operation only takes a minute or two with Weaver rings. With the barrel and stock/receiver in the two smaller pockets I keep the scope in the larger pocket of the Ruger case; I have a sheet of bubble wrap that the scope is rolled in to add some padded protection.

With regard to zero, I have only been to the range 5 times and put just over 500 rounds through the 10/22. Since its initial sighting in, I have not had to make any adjustments to zero when firing on the 50 or 100 yd ranges. I initially zeroed the scope at 50 yds and use the appropriate point on the BDC reticle for the 100yd range.