Tactical Shotguns

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Ernesto, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

Wish Ruger made a tactical shotgun. I'm looking at the 870 Tactical express. Big 60 B'day is coming up and I been known to buy myself secret presents!!!
    Was watching some comparisons to the Mossburg 500. sigh.

2. spacepiggy

spacepiggy New Member

You can't really go wrong with either the 870 or 500, each has its fans and detractors. I've shot both, prefer the 870. It fit me better(?). Purely subjective reasoning.

One thing about Remington, I think they call them Express because they build 'em in a hurry. They're not as finished as the higher end shotguns. Which leaves some sharp edges, particularly on the receiver where the loading ramp is located. Sliced my thumb nicely during tactical drills when reloading in a hurry. A bit of emery or a super fine file can knock that knife-like edge off. Some folks replace the extractor which is MIM with the true machined extractor. I've never had any issues with the MIM part and figure I'll replace it when its worn.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Whoa.. did I hear Tactical shotgun ?;)

This is my wifes Tactical shotgun , hence the pink, and ribbons, but dont let that fool ya. This thing is a beast.

Molot VEPR 12 ga, 5, 10 or 25 round mags.

Never fails to function, auto gas valve, will eat anything from 2 3/4 bird shot to 3" magnum slugs, and muzzle movement is none.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jim

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

That thing looks very tactical. Is that a suppressor on there? Muzzle blast in an enclosed area is one of my two objections to a HD shotgun.

5. Ernesto

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  6. phideaux

No sir, it is not a suppressor,

It is a custom made 2 stage muzzle brake for the VEPR.

I shot this gun before and after installing the brake, and I have never experienced anything that controls muzzle movement as this one.

[​IMG]

Jim

7. phideaux

Yeah , folks will only buy USA made guns,
    I get that,

But the most reliable action I know of is the AK47 platform.
    The VEPR is built on that platform with several improvements.
    I have accsess to any parts, should I need them , right here in the US, as there are several distributors of parts.

I could list many links to reviews on it that rave about it.
    I have to say I have shot over 500 rounds thru this one without a failure to function.
    But I did a fluff and buff (as I do most any gun I buy) before I ever shot it.

Its a little pricey , but she wanted it,
    When your wife wants a gun....well you know... I cant say no.;):)

Hey , we all have different tastes , thats what makes it interesting.
    We cant operate pump shotguns, Im handicapped , and wife is 67 yrs old and has arthritis, all she has to do....pull a trigger.

Just tossed it out there for ya ..:)

Jim

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have a Mossberg 500 cruiser with a little bit of dressing changes. The extending stock and hand grip both have a recoil reducing pad and believe me this gun needed it for my wussy shoulder.

Attached Files:

9. Ernesto

I'm just jealous I guess. I did see another I really liked, forgot the name but it was a 20ga semi-auto tactical with a clip. That was $1200 as well.

10. phideaux

Yeah, but, you can get them for less than $1200.

Classic Firearms has the VEPR on sale right now for $799.

Jim

11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Too bad Ruger doesn't have anything in this category.

Looks like Jim's wife has the right idea. Don't forget, you get what you pay for!

12. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jeez people- I hate to admit this but the only 12 ga. I have left is a camouflaged Remington Magnum with a standard 30" barrel and a rifled slug barrel. I was presented this when I was a Ducks Unlimited chapter president for 10 years. I have used it to hunt deer back in Iowa because you could only use slug shot guns or black powder rifles (smoke poles) which I also used. The shotgun sits next to my front door and is loaded with double OO buckshot and 1 slug shot. I did take a deer with it although most of my deer were taken with my smoke pole which was Thompson with a Hawken barrel. Back then we used round ball to hunt deer. The mini bullet wasn't quite ready yet. My old 870 will still do the job and I am happy with it. It has a lot of sentiment to it so that's why I keep it.
    Tommy

Magnum, You see, I understand the 2nd amendment too. Some of my best hunting days were hunting ducks and geese. I used to love to call in the ducks and especially geese. We hunted out of our camo John boat and threw out our decoys and in the morning, just before sunrise, we would sip on our coffee and watch the sun come up. A sight you will never forget and I am sure you know that feeling. Those were great days!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  13. Ernesto

Just saw a 500 like that for $299 used in excellent condition at 2nd Amendment Sports and tapped out w/ventilated rib. I was pretty tempted.

Never had a Remington anything in my life believe it or not. Had a Mossy before and sold it, that was back in '85.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  14. Ernesto

15. Ernesto

16. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Tactical shotguns...?!

Can't go wrong with a Mossberg...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

.410 has less recoil than a 20 ga.
    Nothing smaller than a 12 ga. for me in a tactical shotgun.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  18. Ernesto

I undertand the recoil, practicallity of a 410 is you get more shots off, less spread but more accuracy?