Switching bullets for 9mm

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by SavageGuy, Dec 4, 2016.

1. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

So, while casting some 9mm bullets yesterday, I noticed that the two halves of the mold were misaligned. This resulted in a bullet with a seam on each side that sticks out about 1/16th of an inch. Also, even though I've casted over a thousand bullets with this mold, the bullets still stick in the mold. So, I made up some loads with my 125 gr .357 cast bullets. These bullets drop at .3580 and weigh in at 127-129 grains. My 9mm bullets drop at .3575 and weigh 126-127.5 grains. So, I loaded up some 9mm using a CCI sp primer, 3.5 grains of Titegroup and a 357 bullet. I was a little concerned that the rather blunt nose would cause feeding issues in an auto loader.
    Here's a picture comparing the two:
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1480898924.952577.jpg

So, today I ran a magazine full through the Lc9s pro, no feeding issues, no ejection issues, no accuracy issues and no leading.
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1480898999.683496.jpg

I'm happy.

I still do have to make up another test batch and run it through my other 9mms to make sure they feed the new bullet shape.

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Savage,

I really like the looks of the bullet you made! I don't know if this would help but when we used to make sinkers for fishing and pouring lead into the mold, we would blacken the mold with black candle wax smoke. The blackened mold seemed to help getting the lead out of the mold. Course as many of the bullets you have done, I am sure you are well ahead of me on how to do it. I was just passing along some things we used to do when we poured lead. (from the mentally challenged):dizzy:

Tommy

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Those ridged bullets from the 9mm mold - you could swage them to .3570. Even install gas checks at the same time - for souped-up use in your Hi-Point carbine.

Yeah, extra work for you - but not for me.

;)

4. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Yeah I smoke the mold with a lighter. Eventually it should season to point where you don't have to smoke it. That's what happened with my .357 mold.

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Haha! Ya, I guess I could. Well, actually, the bullets aren't a gas check bullet so that wouldn't work.