Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I find it much easier to keep Diesel fuel in storage , than gasoline.
Safer too. My tractor is Diesel.

I'm going to pick up another 100 gals next week.

So , I have been wanting to sell my gas burning truck, and buy a Diesel burning truck , for quite a long time,

Just couldn't find the exact truck that I wanted.
So I put my gas truck up for sale on local classifieds , priced high, and , dang, it sold in 2 hrs.

So I finally found EXACTLY the Diesel I wanted.

Here it is...a 2005 Dodge 2500, Heavy Duty, Laramie, Cummins Diesel.

Love it so far , after only 3 weeks .

100_6023.jpg

100_6031.jpg

100_6020.jpg

100_6022.jpg

I am amazed at the raw power this 6 cyl engine has.

Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Congrats, Jim. Torque strong, those engines. The machine tool company I worked for built machines to grind the seats in fuel injector bodies for Cummins.

A few years back, I tried selling at a Dodge dealership; didn't last long. At the time, Chrysler was talking about switching to Fiat diesel. Didn't happen, I guess.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, they got it.

I think late 2014,
I went and drove a 2016 with the new Eco diesel V6,
Great power and FAST too.

I believe it is built by Fiat.

At near $60,000...a few bucks outta my price range.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/

Jim

·
Registered
275 Posts
I made the switch years ago, and I love the Dodge/Cummins combo. But, in general, I can't stand an automatic (which my truck had). Eventually, because of the automatic and the maintenance costs of the diesel, I switched back to a gas truck with a manual transmission. Overall, while I still love a diesel (I have a diesel tractor and skid loader), I do prefer a gas engine in my truck.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Congrats Jim. Looks pretty nice too!

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Real engines don't go clack clack clack either. If it wasn't for that diesel knock who would guess it was diesel? Not knocking Cummins diesels, just kidding. Opps that was a pun.
Besides real engines have glow plugs not spark plugs. ALWAYS USE THE GLOW PLUGS AND DON'T USE ETHER OR STARTING FLUID TO START THE ENGINE EITHER. Biggest mistake people make with diesel engines.
I don't know why but I only see X X X X and no pics.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Real engines don't go clack clack clack either. If it wasn't for that diesel knock who would guess it was diesel? Not knocking Cummins diesels, just kidding. Opps that was a pun.
Besides real engines have glow plugs not spark plugs. ALWAYS USE THE GLOW PLUGS AND DON'T USE ETHER OR STARTING FLUID TO START THE ENGINE EITHER. Biggest mistake people make with diesel engines.
I don't know why but I only see X X X X and no pics.
Try it again and see if the pics are there.

The Cummins Diesel don't use glow plugs , it a heated intake, and they start in super cold temps , same as summer time.

Stand outside and you can hear it some , not bad. Inside you hear nothing.:cool:
Stand beside a GM Duramax and you wont even know its diesel.

Lots of advances in the Diesel engines .

My buddy has the same truck with 660,000 miles on it, and still going strong.

Those big ole 359 cubic inch, inline, cast iron 6 cylinders , run forever.

Know whats deceiving?

Going down the highway at 60 mph, and it seems your only doing 30 mph.....cuz the engine is just above idle...1400-1500 rpm...

Never , ever , never downshifts going up hills..

Mucho torque.

Jim

·
Registered
992 Posts
Love those Cummins motors. I'm not a fan of Dodge though. Had a '96 (gas) half ton, ran great but the whole interior fell apart. I got rid of it with only 102,000 miles in 2005 and all I could get out of it was $1800. It was well kept too. But if it was a 3/4 ton Cummins I probably would've gotten 15 grand even with a shot interior.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This one is 12 years old , and still like new inside....and out for that matter..

100_6029.jpg

100_6030.jpg

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Yep looks like new but without the new sticker shock price I bet.
Yep I can see the pics now.
Friend of mine had a 2006 3500 with the Cummins and he always waited a bit to crank it. Maybe that was heating the intake and not glow plugs.
My neighbor has had 3 Ford F450 sd with the diesel engine. He trashed all them because they just wouldn't start anymore. He now drives a Dodge with the Cummins engine.
I have heard that the newer year Ford's using the Ford diesel are only good for about 200,000 miles before the heads crap out. Supposedly they are not even rebuilding the engines they just replace them. The old 7.3 IHC diesels in the Fords lasted a lot longer than that.
The 5.9 and 6.7 Cummins are still going strong. I found this on forum."If you check your book under instrument / gauge cluster, the pictogram indicating your grid heater is on, is a coil that will stay on if needed. If not needed, it will not lite"

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fifteen grand..., best price I could get.

I could buy the same truck with gas motor for ten grand.

I think I did good. Its got a thousand dollars of new tires.
and another thousand worth of after market items.

I'm happy.

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
^^ Sure beats $60,000 for a new one.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been reading about Bullydog Tuners , that just plug and play...

I read that you can increase fuel MPG by 3 mpg.

Also increase HP up to 130HP. Seems that the truck would not work as hard to achieve the same work...I dunno.

They also warn about being careful and not tear up the trans , without some strong mods.

Anybody ever used one of those plug in Tuners?

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I've read that new-age hotrodders use something similar, but didn't know about Bullydog.

·
Administrator
1,053 Posts
Fifteen grand..., best price I could get.

I could buy the same truck with gas motor for ten grand.

I think I did good. Its got a thousand dollars of new tires.
and another thousand worth of after market items.

I'm happy.

Jim
As long as you're happy that's what counts. I'm happy for you Jim. Good find!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have been reading about Bullydog Tuners , that just plug and play...

I read that you can increase fuel MPG by 3 mpg.

Also increase HP up to 130HP. Seems that the truck would not work as hard to achieve the same work...I dunno.

They also warn about being careful and not tear up the trans , without some strong mods.

Anybody ever used one of those plug in Tuners?

Jim

Jim I'm running Bully Dog selectable chips on my 7.3 trucks. They are a 5 position chip with a switch that you can change the settings on. My 97 settings are stock, economy, tow, 65hp and 95hp I mostly leave it in the 95hp setting since it doesn't affect my EGT much. Going to change it this winter since I'm adding an intercooler and different turbo to it.

My 2002 7.3 also has a selectable chip settings on it are stock, valet (this setting puts a rev limiter in it and limits top speed to around 60mph, this is setting I use when wife drives it:rolleyes:), High idle for quick warm ups and good when jumping someone off, 95hp and 130hp. I drive it in the 95hp setting majority of the time. the 130hp setting is fun but not very drivable lol:D

Most chip companies will custom burn chips for your motor and what you plan to do with the truck. Banks makes chips also and think I will put a banks in my 97 when I do the work on it this winter. I called them and ran my intentions by them and they said they can get me another 120HP to the rear wheels and another 150ftpds of torque. Banks builds chips for the Cummins too so might want to check with them also.

Friend of mine several years ago had a F350 dually with a 7.3 in it and was a tester for one of the diesel after market companies and took me for a ride in his truck. Over 750hp and approx. 1200 ft pds of torque. All I can say is OMG and hang on. To say this truck was fast was an understatement. He tows with this truck and travels all over with it. Amazing piece of equipment.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I worked with a night manager that had an older Dodge 4x4 1500 with a 5.9. He claimed 600hp to rear wheels. I heard from other people that the guy could be running 60 MPH and tromp on it. The truck would belch out black exhaust while it just took off like a rabbit. I knew he had to replace the injection pump and turbo before he sold it. He said it was costing him to much for repairs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts