super redhawk toklat .454

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by buster40c, Sep 6, 2015.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I keep seeing many of ya'll here talking about the Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 casull so I checked Hickok45 for a video on it.
    I know when Hickok45 only shoots a gun once or twice and says it's because it is a stout kicking gun then you better believe him. He, as some of you know, will blast off a bunch of rounds during a video. He doesn't do that with these hand cannon type revolvers. S&W 500 I think he only shot 2 or 3 rounds.
    Anyway here is the video for those thinking about getting one or just want to know about it.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll--DXOWPyA[/ame]

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Years ago I had a Ruger Super Redhawk with a 7" barrel and it had the long lug under the barrel. A friend of mine was a deputy sheriff and he said he had some loads I could have (150) but he had loaded them a "little hot". He did not lie to me about being hot! I had the Pachmayr grips on it and the recoil wasn't nice but it was real user friendly. We happened to be at our local clubs outdoor range and another guy was there watching me shoot. He thought I shot pretty good and wanted to know if I wanted a "man's gun" to shoot. Of course you have to realize I have never been accused of being smart and I said if he had one, I would shoot it. It was a .454 Casull, 5round cylinder and heavy loads(factory). He loaded it up and we had some steel targets. After 3 rounds and a badly beat up hand I handed it back to him. I said I thought that was a mans gun. He gave me a dirty look and walked away. I turned to my buddy and asked if he had any thing to kill the pain in my hand and don't let the guy who owned the gun know I needed it. My buddy looked at me and called me a dumb S and stood there and laughed. I failed to see the humor in it and I told him, in a couple of weeks when my hand was healed, I was gonna punch him in the mouth. That was the ONLY and LAST time I will shoot a .454 Casull.

Tommy

3. buster40c

^^^^^ to funny.
    Like I said I call them hand cannons.
    I never tried it but I have heard many times that if you soak it in cider the swelling will go down in about 5 minutes. They laughed when they told me that so I never tried it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

That is funny Tommy,

I used to love shooting the 454 casull, until I got my S&W XVR 460 magnum..

NOW thats a cannon..:):cool:

[​IMG]

left to right...45lc, 454 casull, 460 magnum.
    :D

Jim

5. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

I shot one with a scope and each time it felt like I was getting punched in the nose. I prefer .357 mag.

6. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

I was told those 460 Mags are the best carry in Big Bear country where the Griz roam......1 shot and the concussion alone will stop the Griz in his tracks leaving him begging "No Mas!" :eek::D

7. buster40c

Was he Catholic? LOL

8. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

I like that dudes videos.

9. savmejeebus

savmejeebus New Member

I've had my Toklat for about 6 months, I'm 5'10" 175# and no problems shooting this gun.

10. buster40c

savmejeebus it is appreciated that newcomers go to forum section Introductions and introduce themselves to the members. I think you will find you will enjoy it here more by doing so.
    You all can have those big guns. LOL I am 5'10" but wish I was only 175#.
    Welcome to the forum.
    Buster