Super Redhawk 7.5"

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by BMiracleTX, Apr 28, 2014.

1. BMiracleTX

BMiracleTX New Member

Hello RugerTalkers... first post here.

I have previously owned GP100s, SP101s, and Blackhawks... just ordered my first Super Redhawk in 44 mag. It will be used primarily for hunting those nasty hogs in Texas.

Does anyone have any advice on Wolff spring sets, favorite loads, what bullets the gun likes/dislikes, etc.

I am excited for this new hand cannon and can't wait to shoot it.

2. Oldschool

Oldschool New Member

I have 2 GP100's and a .357 Magnum LCR, but no .44 Mag. It's still on my wishlist. <grin> Let us know how it shoots.

3. libertysagun

libertysagun New Member

I have a redhawk 5.5 thats just a blast to shoot at steel targets, with 240 grain swc. And 7.8 grains of winchester 231 I get about 975 fps. With good results. In my buddy's super redhawk 9.5 it picks up to just over 1000 fps and is just as dead on. A great shooting piece

4. BMiracleTX

BMiracleTX New Member

That sounds pretty similar to a light plinking load I use in my 4.6" super Blackhawk. I have used 7.5 grs 231 for about 950 fps, but my favorite light load is a 240 LSWC over 8.5 grs Unique giving about 1050. I got these two loads from a Taffin article.

5. libertysagun

libertysagun New Member

that is correct and you can shoot it all day long. however these guns are built like tanks, and I have fired Buffalo Bore's heavy .44, 305 gr. L.B.T.-L.F.N. until my hand hurt yet it makes no difference to the gun. my Redhawk like my Securty six also have some of the best double action triggers I have ever used. I think you will probably find this to be true with your Super Redhawk.

6. weblance

weblance New Member

I bought my 7.5" .44 SRH in 1990. The only load I have shot has been American Eagle factory ammo. Its amazingly accurate, even out to 100 yards. The sights were set perfectly, and I have done nothing, but load, and shoot it. I did install the Houge Tamer, that the revolver now comes from the factory with, as I wanted a little more control on it. I never liked the look of the Houge, and have since re-installed the original LETT with wood inserts. The Houge IS a good grip, I just dont like the look of it.

Congrats on your new SRH. I enjoy mine, and its great fun to see everyones reaction to it, at the range. It always starts a conversation from other shooters.