Super Blackhawk middle finger

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by doublebogey, Oct 22, 2013.

1. doublebogey

doublebogey New Member

My SBH .44 mag, occaisionally hits my middle finger. Is this a (my) grip problem? The recoil is not an issue, at least when it doesn't hit my finger.

2. 00b5

00b5 Member

It all depends. Were you aiming at your middle finger? Or were you giving it the middle finger? LOL
    I don't see how it is hitting it, unless your grip is loose. Are you shooting with the stock grips? I could see your finger getting in between the trigger guard and the grip. Have someone look at your hand placement when you shoot. You might be putting your hand too far around in front and that is letting the recoil push back against only your thumb. OUCH.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

3. doublebogey

doublebogey New Member

Standard factory laminate grips. Working on turnibg my habd to where only the pad on the index finger is on the trigger. Middle finger is behind the square cut trigger gaurd. Need an experienced single action shooter to watch me shoot.

4. ricepaddydaddy

ricepaddydaddy Member

I've been shooting single actions for so long I had to think about it.
    Are you holding it in a "death grip" trying to control muzzle rise? I let mine roll up and back under recoil. The curve of the grip helps in this.
    I shoot Winchester 240 grain JSP's. Are you perhaps shooting a heavier load? Like Buffalo Bore Heavy's or 285 grain hunting rounds?
    I just went and gripped mine to see where my finger hit the trigger - it's on the pad, but not centered, closer to the first joint. There is maybe 3/16" (I used my Stanley tape) between the rear of the trigger guard and the middle knuckle of my middle finger.

5. doublebogey

doublebogey New Member

Shooting winchester 240's also. Definately the grip. Need to work on it. I did not count discharges, shooting til I had empty chamber, not flinching, or pushing. The last single action I had was in the early 80's, so I don't have experience for sure.

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

That trigger guard was designed to crack middle knucles.;):)
    Mine is a 1980 mfg date. Love it but let it roll in tha hand , and even then its gonna get at times, Magna porting does help a bunch.

[​IMG]

Jim

7. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I wonder why I never had that problem with mine :confused:.

8. DDubya

DDubya Member

My favorite way to shoot a SBH or any single action is one-handed and let it roll up in your hand. Never had my knuckle rapped that way. Same thing using two hands, take a firm grip but don't fight the recoil. Let it rise. Oh yeah, and don't lock your elbows.

9. 00b5

00b5 Member

I seem to remember the same thing happening to me a few times. But with my long skinny hands, I went with a custom grip (Hogue) and now that gap is covered up. Not all that expensive and it is easier to get my hand set for a better trigger finger set.:)

10. doublebogey

doublebogey New Member

Thats what i have done. Have not got to range yet, so we will see.

11. DDubya

DDubya Member

I know a lot of people have success with the Hogue grips, but I like to keep my single actions western style.