Super Blackhawk grip frames

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by Drm50, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Drm50

Drm50 Drm50

I have SBH bought in late 60s, old model. I want to buy some "ivory" type grips.
    Will the new model grips fit the old model? Anybody know the answer to this?
    Any info appreciated.

2. Wyatt3220

Wyatt3220 Member

Drm50:
    These are the grips I have on my SB that was built in 1962. They are an elk horn grip that is made by a gentleman on eBay. He makes these grips and is hit and miss on the listings. I think he is somewhere out west. I have them on all my 3 screw rugers. 6 of them. I love them! They are high quality and run 85-125 dollars a set. ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1420675237.225522.jpg ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1420675264.936727.jpg They really make the older Rugers stand out. If I can find his info I will post it for you.

3. trainman

trainman Member

I have been buying grips for both old and new model Rugers. I am not sure about the blackhawk, but something was changed on the Vaquero some time around 2005. Two of my Vaqueros were made in the 90s and one made very recently do not take the same grips. The number on the frame will have a RED by it, indicating it is the newer one.
    I think I participated in a discussion here about that maybe a year ago.

4. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

They look nice !:cool:

5. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Active Member

My blog post here describes the differences of the standard Blackhawk grip frames

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2015/01/ruger-single-action-grip-frames.html

The Super Blackhawk (other than the Hunter and short barreled models) has a larger grip frame, the size, profile and location of the pins has not changed to my knowledge, so any modern Super Blackhawk grip panels should fit your late '60's vintage gun