Store bought pistols vs. Customs

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, May 1, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I tend to watch Hickok .45 on you tube and he had a great vid on accuracy. His theory is that if you carried most any weapon, it will shoot as well as a Baer, Wilson, Brown etc. Providing the trigger and sights are in aline. He was prolific in stating that 99% of the time most of the guns can shoot better than the shooter- I totally agree! If my Ruger or Colt Commanders could shoot a 2" group in a 50' distance I would be tickled. The only shooting I get to do is an indoor range with a total distance of 50 feet. With 8 million square miles of desert in Az, most of it is BLM land or reservation of which you can't shoot on. Would I like to try a fancy built pistol? Hell yes!! Would my accuracy become better-I don't think so. Now Phideaux (Jim) would shoot a bazooka if he could improve his accuracy. He's a brute for punishment! IF it's a big bore, he's gonna shoot it!! My question to you guys and gals: Do you have a custom built pistol and do you see that great of improvement in your shooting skills? I know Jim can cuz he builds all his rifles and plays alot with them. Do you think the added cost is worth the final result? I am anxious to hear your feedback and you won't hurt my feelings either way you state your comments. Thanks to all!!
    Tommy::metal:
    P. S. I am stuck to punching paper but would love to go out and try some metallics sometime.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  2. marcinstl

marcinstl New Member

go over to youtube and find the Armory Channel, then search for the Ed Brown vs Colt video. Pete(rude and OCD) explains the difference in $4000 to $1000 guns. the Colt will shoot better than me any day. The Ed Brown will shoot so much better than me any day. the fit and finish on the Ed Brown is way beyond the cheap(?) Colt. I watch these video's and shoot a $350 Ruger P-90, which shoots better than me any day. if you have gun money, try to buy something that's collectable. shoot it, take care of it, someday sell it for more than you payed for it.

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I had a Wilson Combat CQB 4" .45 and I sold it. I didn't have any better results with it than with my $800 Kimber Ultra Carry II. I saw that same Hickok 45 video and I agree that most guns are way more accurate than we can achieve with them. LOL if you are like my shooting where it seems I am blind in one eye and can't hardly see out of the other eye then an expensive custom made gun will not help.
    My best shooting has been from a Sig P226 in 9mm I bought used in good condition for under $300. I absolutely love how my Kimber feels like it was made for my hand and shoots good. I was at a shooting range and was shooting the Wilson and the Kimber. Guy next to me wanted to know what gun I had just shot. It was the Kimber not the Wilson. I don't know what he liked about it that he asked about it over the Wilson.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Tommy, you are way too generous with your accalades ,.;) Im just an old phart that shoots a lot,

Let me just inject one thing.... I have found one thing that , I believe, affects accurracy as much as anything is the choice of ammo I use.
    Yes, a well made gun, rifle or handgun is important, and necessary for accurate shots, but in y many years of tinkering I will give credit to ammo.
    Best gun made will not shoot garbage ammo well. Well made gun will (usually) shoot a high quality( precisely loaded for that particular gun) accurately.
    That being said, I have several of both ....high end and not so high end , They both shoot great with great ammo, one is just purtier .;):)

On another thread here"Range Time", I posted a classic example, with the targets I shot with a cheap $200 rifle , made well, using 2 different brands of ammo at 100 yrds with .22lr, just to experiment.

Jim

5. marcinstl

marcinstl New Member

ah ha! it's the ammo, glad I read this, I thought it was me. shooting a pair of .38's this morning with PPU. was getting some key holing, bullet not going in the usual place. got 2 boxes of that, "on sale". not really a value, just goes bang for cheap.
    since this is the ruger forum, look at an SR1911, to buy anything more expensive are you getting a better gun(materials, fit, finish)? how much extra are you paying for a name?

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,
    I agree with you on the ammo. And that's the reason why we reload is to get a better round than factory rounds. And that's another fun part of shooting is building a more accurate round. That's the challenge. However my shooting skillls are not going to escalate at my age but that doesn't stop me from shooting and reloading. Would I buy a Wilson, Baer, Brown or other special build even if I had the money? Hell no!! For me the Ruger is plenty of pistol for me. I think I told you years ago I shot competition with a .338 rifle and it was a lot of work, time putting on our old leather shooting jackets, sling, shooting glove and getting into position. My spotter and I would have to lay for hours at times just to take our turn shooting. Would I do that now if I was younger? Hell no!! I just want the enjoyment of trying to better myself each time I go to the range. It's like golf. Seve Ballesteros one time lost the Master's because he called himself on a 2 putt round and no one else noticed, however he did. Every time I go to the range, it's just me that I compete against.
    Tommy

7. brushunter

brushunter New Member

Agree with most, ammo is a key factor. Lets not forget though , the action/trigger makes a huge difference on how accurately one shoots a handgun. Example : My son purchased a CZ-75 , well made , tight 9mm. However the trigger was awful , lots of creep with a 7# pull. On most days you'd be lucky to hold a 6" group at 7 yds. But every now and again on a good day , I could get it to group very well ...seems like it wanted to shoot. We ended up sending it to CZs custom shop ( ? ) , they gave it an action job , removed the firing pin block along with replacing the front sight with a fiber optic. The $300 (almost half the cost of the gun :D ) spent transformed my son into a very good shot .......... Guess what I'm getting at , more money spent may mean a little better firearm , making it easier to shoot well. Suppose there is a point to where the cost is a non factor.

regards ,
    Brushunter

Last edited: May 15, 2015