Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cutting off some branches from a Tallow tree and all of a sudden I saw a black wasp and about the same time I felt a burning sensation on my arm. One of the wasps stung me with a hit and fly. Now there were several wasps flying around so I got the heck out of there as fast as these feet could go.
I went into the house, wet a tea bag and put it on the already swelling sting. It felt like blowing out a match and immediately sticking it on my arm burning more and more. I grabbed my wasp spray and sprayed the branches and the tree. I didn't see the nest. I was just praying and spraying I hit them. I will give them a day to see if they are still around.
The tea bag wasn't helping the burning any so I put some Aloe Vera on it. The stinging quit and the swelling went down then. I never know where wasps will have a nest. I guess the nest was on one of the branches I cut down. Dang wasps have a bad attitude for sure.
I have been stung quite a few times by wasps that were in my shed. I have had them bounce off of me as I walked into the shed before. A few times they did more than bounce off of me. I have gone through a few cans of spray. One time I was carrying a ladder out of the shed and saw a wasp nest on the ladder so I set it down real quick. I got some spray and sprayed the nest then went inside for safety. I came back out 15 minutes later and didn't see any wasps so I picked up the ladder. OHHHHH Heeeeellllllll One wasp was stinging me on one side of my lip while another was stinging the other side of my lip. Usually wasps just hit and fly off but these two were steadily drilling me. I had to actually knock them off of my lip. Geeze! Talk about burn! My lip immediately swelled and looked more like a big toe sideways on my face.
Got to love the summer bugs. Between the wasps and fire ants I am not going to make it through summer without getting stung.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I was cutting off some branches from a Tallow tree and all of a sudden I saw a black wasp and about the same time I felt a burning sensation on my arm. One of the wasps stung me with a hit and fly. Now there were several wasps flying around so I got the heck out of there as fast as these feet could go.
I went into the house, wet a tea bag and put it on the already swelling sting. It felt like blowing out a match and immediately sticking it on my arm burning more and more. I grabbed my wasp spray and sprayed the branches and the tree. I didn't see the nest. I was just praying and spraying I hit them. I will give them a day to see if they are still around.
The tea bag wasn't helping the burning any so I put some Aloe Vera on it. The stinging quit and the swelling went down then. I never know where wasps will have a nest. I guess the nest was on one of the branches I cut down. Dang wasps have a bad attitude for sure.
I have been stung quite a few times by wasps that were in my shed. I have had them bounce off of me as I walked into the shed before. A few times they did more than bounce off of me. I have gone through a few cans of spray. One time I was carrying a ladder out of the shed and saw a wasp nest on the ladder so I set it down real quick. I got some spray and sprayed the nest then went inside for safety. I came back out 15 minutes later and didn't see any wasps so I picked up the ladder. OHHHHH Heeeeellllllll One wasp was stinging me on one side of my lip while another was stinging the other side of my lip. Usually wasps just hit and fly off but these two were steadily drilling me. I had to actually knock them off of my lip. Geeze! Talk about burn! My lip immediately swelled and looked more like a big toe sideways on my face.
Got to love the summer bugs. Between the wasps and fire ants I am not going to make it through summer without getting stung.
Black paper wasps around my place tend to ignore me - I ain't a caterpillar after all. If I was cutting down their nest that would probably change.

Yellowjackets are a different deal; they are aggressive anyway, and getting near their nest is a no-no. I (vaguely - it was several decades back) remember having them focus on my nostrils one time. Maybe they were using their bear technique?

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep black wasps generally are the ones that just bounce off of me. The black ones don't usually bother with me. I guess when I cut the limb down that was bothering them really bad. Yes yellow jackets just stay in a bad mood waiting for someone to come near their turf. It was YJ that nailed my lip.
I got hit by a red wasp on my arm while mowing. I thought a stone flew up from mower when it hit. That sucker hit me hard. I sure did swell up from that one.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I hate anything with a stinger..

We have red wasp,, they are aggressive, and they hurt.

I swell and have to take benedryl.

I keep a can of wasp sprayon my golf cart ,in the house, and in the sheds.

I tolerate snakes better than stinging bugs.

Jim

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have both kinds of wasp here in GA, You are usually too close to there hive and are protecting it. Either sting brings out huge whelps on me. I use Calagel to make the sting go away and it usually does the trick.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Out here in sunny Az we have hoards of killer bees. This was an experiment that went awry back in the late 50's or early 60's. They don't loose their stinger when they sting you and will keep on stinging over and over. 4 years ago we had a nest about 5 foot in circumference in our back yard. You did not want to get close to them because they can keep on stinging until you die. We had to call the county out and they wouldn't come so we had to call pest control. They wear special gear and use soap and water mixed with another chemical to get the queen out and then they will leave. Out here, if you see a bee flying in your garage or back yard, best thing to do it to kill it with bug killer as these are scouts and when the scouts find a place, the whole hoard will come in just like a cloud.
Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Years ago I was outside using a spray paint can and heard bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and I looked up to a cloud of bees. They were going nuts for some reason. I came home and saw a 2' circle in my yard. Turned out it was a pile of bees. I asked a guy about what to do and he said just put a glove on and scoop them into a bag. YEAH RIGHT!
He laughed and said they will not sting you unless you hurt one. Oh and then what happens if I hurt one?? He said evidently the queen bee is dead and so they are out of control. he said they will leave in search of another queen in a day or so. In couple days they were gone and sure enough the queen bee was laying on the ground dead. The queen was about the size of a big bumble bee.
I will keep our Texas fire ants over killer bees. I would think AZ would also have fire ants. I think some areas of TX has reported killer bees but there don't seem to be many around here.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Paper Wasps under the shed eves...Yellow Jackets out back... Hornets out front... Carpenter Bees under the porch...

It's a wonder I ain't dead yet...

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Years ago I was outside using a spray paint can and heard bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and I looked up to a cloud of bees. They were going nuts for some reason. I came home and saw a 2' circle in my yard. Turned out it was a pile of bees. I asked a guy about what to do and he said just put a glove on and scoop them into a bag. YEAH RIGHT!
He laughed and said they will not sting you unless you hurt one. Oh and then what happens if I hurt one?? He said evidently the queen bee is dead and so they are out of control. he said they will leave in search of another queen in a day or so. In couple days they were gone and sure enough the queen bee was laying on the ground dead. The queen was about the size of a big bumble bee.
I will keep our Texas fire ants over killer bees. I would think AZ would also have fire ants. I think some areas of TX has reported killer bees but there don't seem to be many around here.
Buster,
I will trade you our Africanized killer bees with no stingers if you trade me your fire ants with no teeth or pincers. Sounds like a deal to me. Wait a sec, I think we already have fire ants although I have never seen any YET! On second thought, just forget about the deal.:D
Tommy

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Back a couple years , I was on the tractor , down by the creek, about 150 yrds from the house, moving some dirt, with the front loader,

Now I dont know what kind of little bees were burrowed in that mound of dirt, but they got pizzed when I started moving their bunker.

They came at me on the tractor, got under my shirt and up my pants legs,

I stooped the tractor , jumped off , started running:)rolleyes:) and shedding clothes, :)eek:), good thing no one was around,
heres this old , white , ugly guy running:)rolleyes:) and only his undies protecting the worlds eyes from .....well.....a ...bad dream event.

Best I can remember, when I got to the house, (wife going nuts, hysterical) I had like 23 stings all over, I was popping benedryl, and running cool water all over with water hose.

It all settled down after about an hour, I went back and got the tractor.

Now Im very watchful when moving dirt. Mean little critters, about the size of honey bees.

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also have to agree the fire ants and wasps are more of a threat than gators or snakes here.
Well there just was a young man went swimming where there was a sign post no swimming because of gators. Well one gator got his stupidity and the man went down screaming while his girlfriend watched in horror.
Then days later another man shot the gater and killed it. They found body parts of the swimmer inside the gator stomach. They were deciding whether to file charges against the shooter because it is illegal to shoot gators in TX.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I also have to agree the fire ants and wasps are more of a threat than gators or snakes here.
Well there just was a young man went swimming where there was a sign post no swimming because of gators. Well one gator got his stupidity and the man went down screaming while his girlfriend watched in horror.
Then days later another man shot the gater and killed it. They found body parts of the swimmer inside the gator stomach. They were deciding whether to file charges against the shooter because it is illegal to shoot gators in TX.
What ever happens, don't let him get tried in Baltimore. He might be arrested along with the 6 cops already under duress. And she won't recuse herself nor allow a change of venue.
Tommy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts