Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, it's old, but the gunshow last week was slow. Got it off a guy the last hoyur of the show for a bill and a rubber band gun for his kid. He said it fied, but to only use 2 3/4" shells only. Checked the firing pins and they were there. Gun opened and closed firmly. Hammers cocked and released well. Looked like he had started a refinish and jist quit.

Gun is a 30" full choke, double barrel much like the standard Savage/Stevens 311 hammerless that has been around for years. Barrels had surface rust, no pits, no dents and most of their blue. Extractors working, but no ejection on ithis one. Even the front sight was thee.

The receiver appears to be a boxlock, but has hammers, not an old sidelock. The receiver ofappears to have been cleaned of surface rust as well as the hammers and swing open lever. Blue is there, but dull.Buttstock is walnut and was stripped, sanded and never finished. Got that stock done with a few coats of TruOil. The forend works fine, but the wood is stripped also and is hardwood. Probab ly a replacement. It will need some stain to match the buttstock before finishing.

Yeah, it shoots. Fired it before doing anything else to make sure. It extracts like it should. No play at all in the action, so it was never fired much. Still kinda iffy on the barrel rrefinish. I just polished the surface rust off. Might cut 10 inches off the front to make it a bit easier to handle. it was not an expensive gun in it's day which was 1912 to 1935. So, Iain't butchering some rare piece. I have cut some 311s before and they handle much better and work great on quail coming off the ground with the cylinder bore barrels. Buckshot also spreads much faster at close ranges. Make a larger front sight and set it in place, drill and tap.

Never had one with the hammers that actually worked. So, I will probably keep it. Well, I coulda bought some with hammers that are made in third world countiries, but they ain't made in the USA.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, with 30" barrels it is still shorter than most of my field guns. Think the Mossy Turkey 20 ga. is a bit shorter and it is a 26" barrerl. Reason bring there receiver is much shorter. It's mostly removing some weight ccause the gun is all steel, better balance cause it isn't as muzzle heavy, and I have no use for the full chokes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts