Stance while firing

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Lately arthritis has been chewing up my back when I go to the range. I am shooting my SR1911's with a modified Weaver stance (right handed). My right foot is angled @ 45 degrees behind my left foot and I am using the bent arm hold. Lately I have been having problems with my back, 3-4" above the belt line, leaning into my stance. I do not like the isosceles stance and have tried it however a bump from behind would throw you off your target. I am guessing but I believe my right foot is about 12-15" behind my left foot. Does anyone have any ideas of how to change or modify my stance to help prevent some pain relief. I am seriously thinking about getting a nylon style "lifters" belt and wearing it while shooting however, firstly it is too hot to wear at the range and not practical while EDC. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated except from VT cuz he will tell me I am just too old. Might as well get my yanks in Bob. I constantly clean the range so I am not standing on any loose or expended rounds. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all!!

Tommy

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2017
  2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Yep, you're just plain old. You should practice in the prone position. ;)

On a relatively serious note: Unless you are practicing for target competition, you should shoot from real world positions - the ones you might get caught in - at least part of the time, to the extent the range boss allows it. The variety might even ease your back.

3. gumpy

gumpy New Member

My back pain is chronic, so I'm afraid I can't help you out much. But as VT said, changing position helps me in everything I do.

4. allenr

allenr Member

Your stance is surely creating a problem. Here is modified Weaver that will fix it.
    Here is how to understand the stance.

Stand facing the target with your feet shoulder width apart.
    Move your right foot back so the toe of your right shoe isroughly even with the the back of the heel of your left shoe.
    Rotate your left shoulder slightly forward.
    Keep you arms bent at the elbows.
    Distribute your weight equally on both feet.
    Do not bend forward at all.

Learned that one in the Corp in 1961. Been using it ever since.

The following URL links to a Paul Harrel YouTube video in which he demonstrates what I just wrote. While it is worth watching from the getgo the part on stance starts about 2 minutes in. Paul was Marine too. I think he was either hand to hand or firearms instructor or both. Here is the URL.

https://youtu.be/lCRE3QeHZgc

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Allen,

Thanks for the video. I think I am exaggerating my Weaver stance as my right foot (dominant) is a little too far back. The vid states toes on the left foot and toes on the right foot aligning to the heel of the left foot. I know I am a little farther back thus throwing more twist on my back, therefore exacerbating the pain factor. Sunday is range day so I am going to concentrate on that position and see how it works. It sure can't hurt anything by trying and if it doesn't work the first time, it doesn't mean it's not right, it means I have to work at it. I wasn't cognizant of the fact my rt. foot was too far back. I guess as we age, we tend to forget some of the basics as I have done. Again, thanks for the video reference!!!

Tommy

6. allenr

allenr Member

At

Hey Tommy, good to hear from you in the midst of what has obviously been a tough time for you. One thing my firearms trainers taught me was it is OK to modify any stance if it works for you.

On another note, you will likely recall that my plan to begin on a very long trek in spring past was impeded when I broke a bone in my foot and had to have a screw put in it. Well after months gone by I am almost back to where I was physically. I can hump forty pounds on my back for fifteeen miles now. When I get to tewnty in a day, I am setting out on that trek. That is likely to be in September. I have set a new course because the weather will be different than that of my original plan. I will be moving southwest and will likely end up in Arizona because I am not welcome in California with a gun.

So maybe I will get to buy you a beer.

Be well,

Allen

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Allen,

I would consider it an honor to meet you and have a cocktail, however I limit my drinking to Diet Coke. Please feel free to contact me anytime you arrive. I have to remind you that Sept. can be very hot even though it's supposed to be fall. Temps are up to 100+ at times in Sept. However then end of Sept or 1st of October our weather becomes more tolerable. Today we had a high of 117 degrees. I know Nam was hot for you however that was many years ago and the sun is more intense than you may expect. Even though I only drink Diet Coke, please feel free to drink any and all the beer you wish. I will pick you up or meet you at any place and anytime and we can sit and swap lies. Mesa is spread out to a 35 mile radius so where ever you end up, I will be there. There are also some surrounding cities such as Chandler, Gilbert that are nice and laid back towns where you may feel more comfortable. Please be careful in your journey and I will be greatly looking forward to meeting and greeting you to Az.

My best wishes for your safety on your trek. May it be a great adventure.

Tommy

8. allenr

allenr Member

Thanks Tommy. Diet Coke works for me too. I am acquainted with the temperatures in AZ having been there at different times of year. Although I never has more than 110 degrees. Stay cool. Allen