Stainless Scope and rings for Stainless 10/22

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by MonsterMaxx, Feb 16, 2014.

1. MonsterMaxx

MonsterMaxx New Member

I would like to find a high quality scope for my stainless 10/22. Probably a 3x9 would be the right power.

Finding a stainless scope is hard enough, finding the right one has been beyond my searching ability.

Also need matching rings. Do not want the cheep stamped ones.

I wouldn't say the budget is unlimited, but will say I don't ever buy entry level stuff for anything. I figure buy good and keep it for life.

Thanks in advance for your time.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

3. MonsterMaxx

MonsterMaxx New Member

that is a nice mount! unfortunately the stainless version is not in stock w/ no expected delivery either.

Would you know anyone with the stainless one in stock?

How about glass? something in a 3-9x

intro done.

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks MM,

I dont know where to find Stainless base,
    But Ive used steel, Weaver rail , plated /annodized,and Weaver stainless rings, for several years now, on my 10-22, and it will consistently make ragged holes.with good ammo, at 50 yards. They are stable, hot to cold, and never move, as there is no recoil.

I use Nikon 3X9 scopes on most of my .22 rifles. I have one Savage bolt action ,I use a 6X20X50, to shoot insects at 100 yards,:cool::D

[​IMG]

Jim

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  5. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture New Member

Check Amazon, search string "Ruger 10 22 scope mount silver", for the mount.

As to the scope: a 3-9 variable rom your manufacturer of choice is a good choice. I use a Weaver Classic 8X56 on mine, and consider it as a backup scope for my center fire hunting rifles.

6. MonsterMaxx

MonsterMaxx New Member

Thanks jigs, found the mount on amazon.

Also got the scope
    Nikon MONARCH 3 BDC Riflescope, Silver, 2.5-10x42

Yea, it's more than I paid for the gun, but that's sometimes the case with good glass, oh well, I'll have it for a lifetime.

Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll be back for more info

7. MonsterMaxx

MonsterMaxx New Member

I thought y'all would like to see where I ended up.

It all started with a Ruger Stainless I'd picked up with an Archangel stock which just didn't work for me. So I never really used it. But wanted to put some glass on it and see how it worked. And that's where things got ugly...

Got the scope mount as recommended and a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x44

Of course, I've wanted a nice stock for it too (the Archangel is ugly IMHO) and found one I really liked. The Extreme by Keystone
    It's available in either a standard barrel or a bull barrel, so I needed a bull barrel.lol
    Didn't really want the weight of a bull barrel so I went with Tactical Solutions Aluminum w/ steel liner. And their compensator seemed like a good match so I got that too.

Also got the TS mag release.

Then I stripped it down to bare parts, gave it a really good cleaning and started reassembly. Things went really smoothly except during cleaning. I used powder blast on the receiver and it seems it's been clear coated. The powder blast really made a mess out of it so I had to strip the entire outside of the receiver. It had a few blemishes anyway. It looks really nice now, hopefully nothing has been harmed, but I don't think so. The aluminum could oxidize over time and if it does I'll polish it up again and clear coat it, but at this point I don't think it needs it.

Read about a trick to install the barrel so it doesn't need sanding. Stuck it in the freezer for about an hour and it slipped right in then.

Trigger and everything went back together nicely, fit and finish on everything is really nice.

The stock is not floating the barrel so I may need to take it apart and do some fitting, we'll have to see how it does.

Got it all put together, set the eye relief at exactly 4" and used a digital level to level the scope 0.0°. Spot on.

A dot of blue locktite on the compensator and it was ready to to.

Nearly dark, I setup a cardboard box in front of a big tree in the yard w/ a target and gave it a go.

First up I tried the butler creek steel lips and it jammed every time. I noticed the BC mags were very loose in the receiver so I tried holding the mag up into the gun. It worked perfectly. Ah ha. So I tried a Ruger 10rnd mag. These fit nice and snug. Again it worked perfectly. Clearly my 10/22 doesn't like the Butler Creek Steel Lips.

So here's my dilema
    Is the extended mag release not allowing the pin to fully engage the BC mags or is this a known problem with BC mags? Do I need to get the BX25s or is there something I can do with the BC mags?

For reference, the BC mag is nearly 1mm shorter where it engages the receiver which I think is the main problem.

Or maybe I need to dremel/polish a little feed ramp into it? I'm understandably reluctant to go dremeling on a new barrel, but if this is a popular mod I can handle it.

W/ the ruger mags it shoots perfectly and is on paper at about 40 yards. I need to resolve the BC mag problem, but otherwise it's turned out really nice. I'm absolutely wild about the way it looks!

What do you all think? Thanks for the great advise so far...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014