Stainless Mannlicher

Discussion in 'Ruger 10/22' started by Okie, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Okie

Okie New Member

Better pic of my first 10/22. 50th anniversary stainless Mannlicher. Looks good, shoots good.:)

Attached Files:

2. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

It does look good........................too bad they had to name it what they did:p

3. gunnerjacky

gunnerjacky New Member

I like the wooden finishing of Mannlicher. If I'm not wrong, this gun is named after Ferdinand Mannlicher. Oh wait, let me Google it! :p

4. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

The stock makes it look like something from the 19th century.

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

The shape of the 10/22 receiver is a perfect fit for the Mannlicher style. Great Idea they had.

6. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Years ago I had a Steyr-Mannlicher with a.222 mag caliber. They were expensive back then. I believe I took it on a trade and ended up selling it for around $1500.00. It had the same stock and had a set trigger with it. Talk about accuracy! They claimed to have the most accurate rifle you could buy and I believe it. If you could hold it steady enough on a bench, you could put 3 rounds inside the diameter of a quarter. I shot it quite a bit and back then I had quite a few rifles so that's the reason why I sold it. Wish I had it back now as I think the value would have greatly shot up. It resembles the stock that you have only much of it was engraved and so was the rifle. Young and stupid then: old and stupid now! BTW, I forgot to mention, back then the rifle had a twist on the outside of the barrel with a very deep bluing. The twist ran from the chamber right to the front of the rifle and had no sights. I had to put a scope on it but I can't remember what size of the scope was but it was powerful for the time.

Tommy

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, I like a good Mannlicher..

Mossberg 800AM, 308 cal, mfg 1966, nail driver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I agree with why did they use a name like that? Heck the Edsel became a wonder. But then again the Edsel had a middle name of Lemon.
    What kind of gun do you have..........let me show it to you. lol it's a man licker.

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Mannlicher is a German surname. I know very, very little German, so the following may be wrong...

Mann in the sense intended here refers to the species - human.

the licher means 'liker' in English.

OK, there's the guesses.

I remember the Edsel in both of its versions. The early Edsel was a large, mid level car with an, ah, ill-considered grill treatment. The late version was smaller, plainer, and had an uncontroversial grill; our family's favorite grocer had one of the late ones, made deliveries to shut-ins with it for several years. Neither version had a higher percentage of lemons than was common at that time; Detroit car makers had some lemons. State 'lemon laws' weren't passed because of the Edsel.

10. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I agree with the car probably was no more a lemon than other cars but the name stuck to it. Yep the horse collar grill did get a few snickers. IMO those years of cars were all basically ugly. The car was named after Edsel Ford who supposedly designed the car. It used to be said that was a good example for not using a persons name on a product.
    As far as the Mannlicher gun I actually think it is a very good looking gun. I was just putting in my off beat humor about the name.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Yeah, seems like there were a lot of over-chromed road-boats with odd bulges, all through the late 50s, 60s and 70s. Some current styles, with those grills that look like an attacking grouper, ain't so pretty either.

12. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Bob,

Steyr-Mannlicher was made in Austria, not Germany my friend. Those guns are post 1945 and they used to be very few dealers. Now there is a resugence in the rifle because they made a high quality rifle. Accuracy was par to anything on the market especially with the set trigger.

As far as Edsel Ford goes: Edsel's ideas weren't all bad. He made the first Mercury boat tail car in 1927 behind Henry's back. He and his engineers conceived and built three of them and made them forerunners to the Model A which premiered in 1928. They only made 3 Mercury's that are known and only 2 exist today. One of them sold for almost $5 million dollars a couple years ago and thankfully it went to a museum for all to see and share. Model A's started in 1928 until 1931 and 4.5 million were made. They estimate that about 2.5 million are still on the road. Unfortunately I have 2 (1930 Deluxe coupe and a 1930 pick-up) and my coupe in the winter is my daily driver. Edsel died young as Henry would not accept Edsel's ideas and rode him mercilessly. Henry was the king until the time of his death and no one was going to tell him what to do or make. BUT Edsel did convince his dad to building the Model A Ford which won popularity world wide. His legacy will not be forgotten.

Tommy

13. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Tommy,

The 'standard' language of Austria is German. 'South' German, but still German.

14. kg4kpg

kg4kpg New Member

Looks sharp Okie. I'd like to find one of those stocks.