Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got an SR9c and noticed something different in how it operates vs my P95. It seems you can only flip up the slide safety if the gun is cocked (slide has been racked, trigger is forward). I checked the owners manual and it says nothing about this kind of behavior.

To me, it does not seem unsafe, however, in my mind even an unloaded firearm should not need to be stored with the safety off. My P95 has a built in decocker so I ensure that gun is completely safe before I store it.

Any other SR9c owners have this same behavior?

I have other concerns about his gun as well. When it arrived, I ran some snapcaps through it to see how well it cycled. It jams quite a few times and the ejector was weak. I hope it does not do this with real ammo. I have run this same test with my P95 with 0 failures. The ejector launches the last round a reasonable distance and loads the next round. The SR9c does not behave like this at all.

The sights were set 6-8" above the point of aim at about 17' away (tested using a laserlyte). Whoever assembled this gun did not seem to care. With these other issues, I do not trust the gun enough to assume the safety question I mentioned above is normal or not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your SR9c is a single action gun. There's no need for the safety to be engaged if it is unloaded and the gun is not cocked. In this state the striker/ firing pin isn't cocked and that's the reason it won't engage.

Your P95 is a double action, that's why it has a decocker.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your SR9c is a single action gun. There's no need for the safety to be engaged if it is unloaded and the gun is not cocked. In this state the striker/ firing pin isn't cocked and that's the reason it won't engage.

Your P95 is a double action, that's why it has a decocker.
Thanks for your response. I wanted to be sure about this behavior of the safety.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts