Ruger Talk Forums banner

SR9C Magazine Question

7K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Dave9722 
#1 ·
My search and Google-fu are lacking.. so if this has been asked, I apologize..

2 part question.

1. the plastic extension for the 17 round mag to make the grip continuous, is there a hack to make them stay at the bottom of the magazine ?

2. is anyone using an OWB dual mag holder for the 17 round mags with the plastic extensions?

I played around with an old leather one that I had for an old Beretta, but the plastic pieces tend to slide down. Double sticky tape? Heat? 5 minute 2 ton epoxy? Is there a preferred brand of mag holder for the 9C mags?

My normal EDC has been a Kahr CW45 for the past 2 years, prior to that was a 1911 A1, so I'm used to carrying a flat magazine in my pocket, or tucked into a IWB holder, off side appendix carry. Can't do that with the extended mags and the plastic parts.. (comfortably)

#2 ·
I would stay away from epoxy. As the grip sleeve interior is larger then the mag outer so it would take a lot to fill that. Epoxying it to the floor plate would make it do you can't disassemble and clean the mag.

Some electrical tape should do the trick, won't be super pretty but will hold it in place. A couple of strips on the sides of the sleeve then down over the floor plate, followed by some strips around the sleeve or wrap the sleeve in grip tape to cover the first couple strips.

As for the mag holder, I have a Concealment Solutions dual mag holder for my SR mags, I don't use the sleeve but it would work in that mag holder if I wanted to use them. It retains the mags very well but allows easy drawing.

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

#3 ·
I don't use the extended mag for carry. For a couple of reasons, if I carry it in my SR9c it tends to print easier. And the same reason you described. The plastic wants to slide and presents a problem when loading it into the gun when I practice reloading.

Sent from my SG-3 using Ruger Forum mobile app

#4 ·
I wouldn't glue the base onto it. But there are a ton of things you could try, just think a bit. You could tape the magazine around where the base goes so the base fits more snugly. You could try some well place strips of velcro. Thing magnetic stripping with adhesive place in the inside of the extension. Etc.

Sent from my C5155 using Ruger Forum mobile app

#15 ·
I wouldn't glue the base onto it. But there are a ton of things you could try, just think a bit. You could tape the magazine around where the base goes so the base fits more snugly. You could try some well place strips of velcro. Thing magneti
My search and Google-fu are lacking.. so if this has been asked, I apologize..

2 part question.

1. the plastic extension for the 17 round mag to make the grip continuous, is there a hack to make them stay at the bottom of the magazine ?

2. is anyone using an OWB dual mag holder for the 17 round mags with the plastic extensions?

I played around with an old leather one that I had for an old Beretta, but the plastic pieces tend to slide down. Double sticky tape? Heat? 5 minute 2 ton epoxy? Is there a preferred brand of mag holder for the 9C mags?

My normal EDC has been a Kahr CW45 for the past 2 years, prior to that was a 1911 A1, so I'm used to carrying a flat magazine in my pocket, or tucked into a IWB holder, off side appendix carry. Can't do that with the extended mags and the plastic parts.. (comfortably)
I used black Electrical Tape and wrapped it around the Magazine once or twice depending on how tight you want the Extention to hold,slide the extention over the tape and it works perfectly.....Doesn't move unless you want it too,had mine like that for years no problem

#6 ·
I use the 3Speed Holster
Though the picture shows my spare mag WITHOUT the base extension. I practice shooting my SR40C also without it. I have for the pat month carried the extended mag with the base extension. I have dry fired practicing swapping out magazines, but haven't been to range in a bit. This particular holster will hold the magazine and the plastic base very well.

Attachments

#7 ·
I have the same issues with the plastic spacer being loose on the mag. It just makes the gun fell "loose" although it has no effect on performance.

What I did was get a small brass screw-in insert. I drilled a hole about a 1/2" up from the bottom of the spacer, (measure with a caliper to get the spot where the insert is able to be screwed just below flush), and then screwed in a 6-32 allen head bolt to secure the spacer to the magazine. The back of the spacer is 2 walled and the insert screws in firmly w/o any epoxy to hold it, although epoxy could be used. Insert is about 1/4" long.

It's drilled at just a bit of an angle so the screw secures firmly against the mag body without distorting it any.

I used steel wool to buff/clean up the rim of the hole from the drill bit and all that's seen is the top of the brass insert. Doesn't effect the cosmetic looks of the gun at all.

It doesn't take much pressure and the spacer now is secure and doesn't move. Makes the grip fell solid.

The SR9C is a great shooter and I'm pleased now that he larger mag feels more secure.

#8 ·
You can buy adhesive backed velcro at craft stores (also many other stores). Just stick a small piece of the velcro inside the extension and slide it on. It will stay put, but you can get it off if you need to.

The mag with filler should fit any carrier that the shorter 10rd. mag will fit.

Good luck, enjoy your pistol:D

#9 ·
You can buy adhesive backed velcro at craft stores (also many other stores). Just stick a small piece of the velcro inside the extension and slide it on. It will stay put, but you can get it off if you need to.

The mag with filler should fit any carrier that the shorter 10rd. mag will fit.

Good luck, enjoy your pistol:D
The Velcro I'm familiar with would be too thick and be very hard to work the grip spacer back on......I'm sure it would stay put as it would have to be forced on. And the force it would be pushed on with, pretty much negates the need for the hook and loops. Maybe I'm missing something?

Have you done this or is it just an idea?

#10 ·
There are different grades and qualities of velcro. The lesser qualities are usually thinner. I have also seen it sold as small dots.

The trick is to use only the loop side and not the hook side. The thing that I like about using velcro is that you can use however many pieces that it takes to make the adapter snug. Then you can remove it without damaging any of the parts.

Remember, if it won't go, force it:D:D

#11 ·
There are different grades and qualities of velcro. The lesser qualities are usually thinner. I have also seen it sold as small dots.

The trick is to use only the loop side and not the hook side. The thing that I like about using velcro is that you can use however many pieces that it takes to make the adapter snug. Then you can remove it without damaging any of the parts.

Remember, if it won't go, force it:D:D

I understand all about Velcro. If just using it a spacer, which it is if you are not using both sides, black electrical tape would do the trick just as well.

And I understand the use of force.

Again, have you actually used it to solve this issue or are you just making suggestions of something to try?

My set screw insert solution is what I actually did to my SR9C magazine and it worked very well and looks like it is designed for the issue. What is visible is the top of the brass insert in the heel of the mag spacer. No different than any other pin or keeper on the gun.

If I were to sell the gun, it would add value rather than have some tape or stick on spacer trying to accomplish a solution making it appearing like what it is, a quick fix.

Before I'd try Velcro or tape, I'd epoxy the spacer onto the mag even though this would be a more or less permanent attachment. It would just look better and more like it was how the manufacturer "should have done it"....

Nothing personal about your suggestion, I just think there are better ways to fix this problem. The spacer being slipped on loose just makes the gun feel something is wrong, which it is. With the set screw it feels solid and is cosmetically acceptable to being OEM done.

#12 ·
I understand all about Velcro. If just using it a spacer, which it is if you are not using both sides, black electrical tape would do the trick just as well.

And I understand the use of force.

Again, have you actually used it to solve this issue or are you just making suggestions of something to try?

My set screw insert solution is what I actually did to my SR9C magazine and it worked very well and looks like it is designed for the issue. What is visible is the top of the brass insert in the heel of the mag spacer. No different than any other pin or keeper on the gun.

If I were to sell the gun, it would add value rather than have some tape or stick on spacer trying to accomplish a solution making it appearing like what it is, a quick fix.

Before I'd try Velcro or tape, I'd epoxy the spacer onto the mag even though this would be a more or less permanent attachment. It would just look better and more like it was how the manufacturer "should have done it"....

Nothing personal about your suggestion, I just think there are better ways to fix this problem. The spacer being slipped on loose just makes the gun feel something is wrong, which it is. With the set screw it feels solid and is cosmetically acceptable to being OEM done.

I'm thinking about that set screw.. think I have some black ones somewhere that I removed from something else.. a bit of locktite and it should be good. Got a pic of it that I could look at?

I got Chris Simms here in Texas to make me a dual magazine pouch for the Mags with the extension, I took pictures of the mags and he fabricated an angled, open top dual pouch.

#13 · (Edited)
I'm thinking about that set screw.. think I have some black ones somewhere that I removed from something else.. a bit of locktite and it should be good. Got a pic of it that I could look at?

I got Chris Simms here in Texas to make me a dual magazine pouch for the Mags with the extension, I took pictures of the mags and he fabricated an angled, open top dual pouch.
I'm terrible at pictures and posting them. Sorry....Actually the picture wouldn't show anything other than the hole in the center of the spacer

I used the brass inserts you find in the hardware section at Lowe's or better hardware store. It threads in with wood screw type threads. My pilot hole was approx. in the middle of the back of the magazine spacer on a slight angle. The spacer has an inner and outer wall and the insert seats in both giving it stability and strength not to pull out. I screwed it in so it is just below the surface and doesn't protrude any so as not to catch on anything. I used steel wool to smooth out the surface that the drill left.

The insert is about a 1/4"long and I used a 6-32 allen head screw that is about 3/8" long. I snugged it up firmly without over tightening and it touches the magazine on the slight angle of the pilot hole to hold the spacer in place.

I intended to use a 2nd insert on the front side but this wasn't necessary.

Looking at the hole, all you see is a perfectly round hole with the top of the brass insert showing dead center in the spacer. Cosmetically it just looks like something that should be there.

I've ran a couple hundred rounds through the gun since installing the spacer and nothing has moved. I'm careful not to put any pressure on the spacer when loading the magazine but just as a precaution.

The grip no longer has the loose feel it had when the spacer just floated.

I like this solution far better than using some type of material buildup as it just looks like it's meant to be part of the gun/magazine.

I also thought about Loctite or a dab of epoxy, but the soft plastic and dual walls hold the insert firmly....I drilled the pilot hole and enlarged it with larger bits several times to get the best fit. Too small it would bulge and too big and it would be somewhat loose. Drills easy so this is not an issue.

Hope this helps.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.