SR9C Help Needed

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by HokieCPA, Jul 26, 2013.

1. HokieCPA

HokieCPA New Member

Hi, I'm new to these forums and apologize in advance if I've messed up on where to post this.

I have a SR9c purchased in June. Upon receiving the firearm I put approximately 15 rounds through it without issue (Federal 115gr. FMJ). After about 15 rds. the slide began to hang open between shots. I found I could "slap" it shut with my left hand and continue to fire, although clearly this wasn't proper operation of the pistol.

Thinking I must have assembled something incorrectly during the initial cleaning, I took it home, broke it down, and cleaned the heck out of it, then oiled liberally, and reassembled. A few weeks later, the very next shot at the range...same thing.

I contacted Ruger, they accepted the gun back, replaced the guide rod, "repaired" the barrel, and allegedly fired 50 rounds through it without issue. I received it back this week, and took to the range yesterday. I literally, took from box and took to the range. First shot yesterday, same issue.

I tried 4 types of ammunition yesterday: Federal 115gr FMJ, Federal 145gr. HP, WWB 115 gr, and S&B 115gr. All with the same issue.

I noticed upon inspection that the new guide rod is showing serious wear in one specific spot. I broke down the gun at least 4 times yesterday and tried to move the guide rod around to different positions. But without any change. I can also recreate the problem just by racking the slide back if I rack it back hard enough. It will stick open without the slide lock being engaged.

I tried to contact Ruger today but their AZ offices are closed until next week due to a storm. In the interim, I appreciate any help and feed back. I"m truly at a loss as to how or where the guide rod could be sticking and impeding the slide returning to battery.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

Hmmm...

You said you can replicate it by racking the slide, can you post a few pictures so we can see a little better what might be up. Also some images of the wear on the guide rod might help.

3. HokieCPA

HokieCPA New Member

Second Pic isn't to clear, but the slide lock is not engaged. No magazine in, and no round in chamber.

Attached Files:

4. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

Can't really see anything odd from those shots. The slide locks looks like it is close to being engaged, but that could be the angle of the photo.

Have you shined a flashlight down the magwell to see if you can see anything binding?

Each time you disassemble it you have remembered to push the ejector down? Have you ever disassembled it to the point of removing the fire control group from the grip frame?

After reassembly are you sure you are getting the guide rod seated properly against the barrel lug? Are there any burrs forming on the outside of the barrel?

I'm just trying to brainstorm what could cause that for you.

5. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

Just looked at the guide rod pic again, that isn't the stock Ruger one is it? Looks a lot like one of the Galloway's

6. HokieCPA

HokieCPA New Member

The pictured guide rod is the one Ruger returned it to me with this week.

To answer the other questions:
    I have shined a flashlight and cannot see any binding.
    No burrs on barrel
    Ejector has been pushed down for each disassembly
    I have not removed fire control group
    I initially thought the guide rod seating was the issue, but after consistent recurrence of this problem am confident that this is not the issue.

7. HokieCPA

HokieCPA New Member

Another pick showing slide lock disengaged

Attached Files:

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Thread moved to the correct subforum: Gunsmithing