Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to reloading, I have acquired a Lee single stage setup. And have been loading 115gr. fmj with imr 4756 powder 1.10" c.o.l. My gun is new only about 300 rounds through it so far no prob. (blazer brass 115 fmj).
The hogden web site said to start at 4.5gr and stop at 5.2gr with the imr.
I tried 4.5-4.8-5.2 no cycle. its a great single shot though ha ha. just want some sage advice (it did cycle one round out of ten with the 5.2gr) before I exceed the max load?

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I guess I would ask..
What is happening ? Not cycling can be caused my many things not working properly.
Is the fired round ejecting, sticking in chamber?
Is next round jamming going into battery?
is next round even being picked up ?etc,etc,

Can you describe your failure to cycle a little better?

BTW, I encourage you to go to Introductions, introduce yourself , tell us a little about yourself.
Thats traditionaly whats done.

Thanks for joining us and welcome.

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My name is Jesse, I live in ogden Utah. I own my own hearing aid business, I volunteer ski patrol on the weekends.

Back to the gun. it fires a round, but does not load the next one. The spent case is still in the chamber but not stuck. It does move the rail back far enough to re cock the striker though. I've checked the spent brass in the barrel and they are not tight. If I place a loade mag and hand cycle the rail it ejects and loads smooth.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Im not a gunsmith, but its hard to diagnose ,with seeing it.

Jim

·
Registered
120 Posts
Jesse,
Have you fired your gun with factory ammo? If so did the factory ammo feed, fire and eject properly. If factory ammo works, we need to look at the reloads. If factory ammo fails to feed, fire and eject , it could be the firearm. The spent case remaining in the chamber sort of hints at an extraction problem.
I find reloading 9mm to sometimes be a PITA, it seems like they never want to do right, what works fine in my gun will not function in another.
But don't give up yet, everything has a solution.

Gary

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gary,
Thanks for the reply.
To answer your question yes it cycles factory ammo just fine, (blazer, Remington, magtech) I've been loading 115gr. Fmj with 5.2 grains imr 4756 CCI primers C.O.L. 1.10" last night I loaded some lead falcon round nose 115gr. 5.2gr imr 1.10"
C.O.L. it cycled about 75% of those and stove piped a few. Also the lead rounds that did cycle the spent brass was it a pile right by my feet. With the factory magtech it ejected them about 12 feet away. I feel this is a pressure issue with the imr "cold" powder I'm just scared to exceed the max load numbers. Galloway makes a lighter main spring for the sr9 maybe that would help?

·
Registered
147 Posts
First thing, don't go past max recommended load of powder. That is not the issue and adding will cause bigger issues like over pressure and a compacted load.

It sounds like it's an extraction issue but if it cycles factory ammo that issue has to be related to the seating depth and perhaps a crimping problem, something about how you're assembling your cartridge.

Without seeing the cartridges and what's taking place it's hard to diagnose. But I suspect something simple.

Anything look odd about the primers? Are they bulging from over pressure keeping the extractor from gripping the rim of the cartridge. A long shot, but something is happening in that area if it picks up factory loads.

You mention CCI primers. What kind? Not small pistol magnum I hope? This could create an overpressure situation.....

And are the primers fully seated?

How are you measuring powder? You're working at max load and should be working at starting load and going up. If not an accurate scale/measure, you may be creating an issue.

Just some thoughts. Need more info to get to the root cause.......

·
Registered
120 Posts
My Lyman Reloading Handbook , 46th Edition, shows a load of 6.2 grains of SR-4756 with a 115 gr. jacketed bullet as being a factory duplication load and designated as potentially the most accurate load. the velocity is listed as 1147 fps with 28,100 C.U.P. pressure. The lowest pressure load of 6 different powders.
With a cast lead 115 gr. bullet 6.1 grains of SR-4156 is listed as max.

Taken with your description of how the loads are acting, I would bump my charge up to 5.9 or 6.0 grains with either bullet and see how that works. 5.2 grains just doesn't seem to be getting the job done or you are shooting in very cold weather and it is affecting the ammo. With factory ammo cases landing 12 feet away and your 5.2 reloads , that cycle, landing at your feet....looks like not enough velocity.

Don't replace the stock spring with a lighter one...could be opening the door for other problems, just load some hotter ammo, might try another powder.

I got disenchanted with the fickle 9mm in a hurry. Solved it by now shooting mostly 38 special out of revolvers. Very easy round to deal with. I guess that's why it is still around.
Gary

·
Registered
120 Posts
Lyman #46 shows no loads with Accurate-no.2 with any bullet weights in 9mm.
Nosler Reloading Guide shows none either. It does show loads for Accurate-No.7 but that is it.

Interestingly Nosler shows loads for SR 4756 / 115 fmj / 9mm Luger
Start 5.5 grs- 988 fps
Max 6.5 grs- 1178 fps
It noted SR 4756 was the most accurate powder tested.

When I get home tonight I will see if some of my other manuals have loads with Accurate No. 2
Gary
PS- I'm not sure why the Hodgen site lists 5.2 grs. of 4756 with a 115 gr. bullet max , all the manuals I have looked at show a max of 6.2 and 6.5.
Send an E-mail and see if a technichen can clear up the discrepency.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just a couple questions.
What dies are you using steel or carbide?
New or old dies
of all the 9mm I make I run them all through a taper crimp die made by Lee and I load for family and friends and never had an ejection problem. Do you use a caliper to check the diameter at the crimp?

·
Registered
120 Posts
After looking through 4 different loading manual's: Lyman , Nosler, Hornady and Speer I have found absolutely nothing on loads with Accurate No. 2 , 115 gr fmj for 9mm Luger.
Sorry.

As far as max loads with SR-4756:
Lyman...6.2 grs.
Hornady..6.4 grs
Nosler.....6.5 grs

I went to the IMR data site and sure enough 5.2 of SR-4756 is listed as max. I'm at a loss.

I have used Unique, Red Dot , Bullseye and 700X powders in the past...do you have or can you get any of these?

Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts