SR9 vs SR9C Quick Question......

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Randyp1234, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Randyp1234

Randyp1234 New Member

I'm shopping for a 9mm and am focused on either the SR9C or Glock 19. I met someone at the range a couple weeks ago that had a 19 with him and he let me shoot it. He also said he had an SR9 at home and we're supposed to meet up next week so I can shoot that.

My question is - the SR9 & SR9C appear to be pretty much the same gun once you put the 17 round magazine in the 9C. Are they close enough that if I like the SR9 that I'd like the 9C just as well, or maybe better?

Thanks,

Randy

Edited to highlight that my question is if I like shooting the SR9 will I like the SR9C - not whether I should get the SR9C over a different model. I'd mark this subject closed if it were possible.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. brianandmandy

brianandmandy New Member

Hey brother. I love my 9c. You can get a lil smaller gun in the 9c vs the 9 but with the same capacity. Great pistol. Go with the 9c. IMO.

3. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

If I had a choice between the two......I would go with the SR9C. Like you were saying, put the extended mag in and other than the barrel is a shade shorter.....same gun. I have a SR9.....great range gun. Both are awesome guns......

4. Phred

Phred New Member

Never shot a Glock or an SR9, but can tell you that I really love my 9c and would heartily recommend it.

5. gunny1

gunny1 Senior Citizen Member

My SR9c is a great shooter too. I recommend it as well.

6. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

To me the fascination with Glock it does all things all right. The real part of Glocks appeal is in that they make it darn easy to maintain with simple tools. And there is a great after market for it. That said, for me it feels weird when i hold them. I shot a friends G19 I think it was a gen 2 or 2.5. What I did like was the very noticeable reset (You can feel and hear it). Compared to my SR40C , I really like the trigger as is out of the box with Ruger. The difference between the SR9/40 and their C counterparts is the full sized (Barrel) is a Hair over 4" ans weighs (M/T) 26.5 oz (The Compact is 3.4" on barrel and comes in at 23.4 oz). For me i like the shorter barrel and less weight, though i am contemplating getting a full sized firearm as my next purchase.

7. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

I have the SR9 and SR9c, and there is not much difference between them, 3/4 in. length and same height when using the 17 round mag. If it was only for home defense and range use i would go with the SR9, but if there was any chance of wanting to use it for CC i would choose the 9c. The shorter 10 round mag is better for CC as the longer 17 round mag makes CC difficult and the 17 round works well for a backup as it carries well vertical on belt. I have shot the SR9, SR9c, SR40 and SR40c at the range together and there is not a lot of difference in any of them, other than the 40 cal has a little snappier recoil. They are all equally accurate, reliable and pleasant to shoot. My main carry pistol is the SR40c, but they are all really nice pistols.

8. Randyp1234

Randyp1234 New Member

Thanks cjs1945,

Sounds like if I shoot an SR9 and like it then I'll like the SR9C, which answers my question.

Randy

9. NWMarc

NWMarc New Member

I think Glocks are somewhat over rated. The SR9C is a very good shooter with excellent accuracy and it fits the hand better. You couldn't do any better than with the Ruger.

10. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I would get the sr9c because it is like 2 guns in one. With short mag it is better for conceal carry and if you want a full size grip just switch to the extended mag.
    I have the Ruger sr40c and I had the Glock g27. both 40 caliber and the SR handled recoil much better imo. I have not had a single glitch from my SR40c right out of the box. I sold the Glock and kept the Ruger.
    The Ruger is also around $150 less cost than the Glock. IMO the Ruger is best bang for the buck on the market today.

11. Randyp1234

Randyp1234 New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies.

12. refugee

refugee New Member

I own and shoot the SR9,40,45 and 9c. carry the 9c due to ease of concealment, otherwise I would probably carry either the 40 or the full size 9 due to capacity. they are all accurate and reliable, I may shoot the SR45 slightly better than the other three. triggers are almost identical one to the other, ergonomics is what drew me to these to start with. I have a daughter who turned 21 a few years ago. bought her one for the event and so that we could be on a par got one for myself. added the others as they became available because I was so impressed. because of these weapons my Smiths Kimbers and Springfields sit in the safe most of the time. do not own a Glock, they always seemed like a paving block to me. I probably would love them too but at this stage of life I have become pretty settled in what I like. the Ruger line gives me strength, accuracy, reliability and durability for much less money. I am not bound to anything so if I feel there is a better value somewhere, I'll try it, but for now the SR's are my favorite hands down.

13. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

My SR40C (9+1) is on me from the time i awake till i go to bed (Except for showering). The 15 round extended magazine goes into the magazine carrier. At night, the configuration gets reversed 15 +1 on night stand (spare mag in top drawer)

Attached Files:

14. toma

toma New Member

I have the SR9c and am very impressed with the accuracy right out of the box. I also carry it 90% of the time. As far as maintenance, it's vary easy to clean and Ruger stands behind their products. ( The other 10% of the time I carry my LCR .357)

15. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

I just picked up a 9c yesterday but haven't shot it yet. Absolutely love the feel of it though, fits my hand like a glove. Plan to shoot it tonight or tomorrow.

16. LastResort

LastResort New Member

Just got my SR9C a couple days ago. It is my first gun and I love the feel it has. Haven't been able to shoot it yet, but from what I've read I don't think I will be disappointed.

17. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

Just a slight BUG A BOO (SR40C) I don't know if the spring in the 9C is stiff. In the 40C it took me quite awhile to be able to rack quickly. I don't have that issue any longer. I have gotten better and the spring has softened up a bit. I was curious if this was experienced in the 9C too?

18. 00b5

00b5 Member

I have noticed that in both my 9c and 40c (and my SR 1911) everything smoothed out at about the 2-300 round mark. Action was smoother, the slide release became thumb operable, and the groups became a lot tighter. Normal break in period.

19. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

Not for me, shot great out of the box. Put about 40 rounds down range and perfect every time. Love the gun...

20. LastResort

LastResort New Member

Went today and put about 75 rounds thru. Everything was smooth, no issues at all.