Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been carrying the full size SR9 for a few years using the deep concealment lower abdomen carry (pelvis, below belt line) holster, SmartCarry. I know a lot of people may not like these holsters but I LOVE it as there is total freedom of movement, no gun butt showing, and I can wear or not wear a belt, a shirt or anything I want and it works the same. Anyway, I'm also one of those foolish paranoid people that just couldn't bring myself to carry cocked and locked (and loaded). However, I went to a shooting class recently and was told again how I was putting myself at risk as I could be shot before I could draw and rack the slide. So, I went ahead and decided to test carrying loaded, cocked and locked. With a loaded mag inserted, I racked the slide and pushed the safety all the way up into position and then tested that the slide would not move as it was locked. Since there are many places I cannot legally carry, I often have to remove the gun from my lower abdomen while sitting in my car and then deposit it in the gun safe under my seat and then put it back in while sitting when I return. I've done this thousands of times before and I never touch anything but the butt of the gun when drawing or reholstering. Today, I drew the gun out, put it in the safe and then looked down at the gun laying there and the safety was no longer on! Note that the safety moves up and down in a different direction and would not move up or down from coming out of the holster or back in. Perhaps my clothing rubbed against it and did this. I know there are few if you out there, but anyone else use a deep lower abdomen holster system with a gun that has a safety and ever have this issue?

My second question is about the slide lock. I found that when the gun goes automatically into slide lock after all the rounds are expended and I insert another magazine, not slamming it in but pushing it in with enough force to ensure its in, the slide lock disengages and flies forward on its own. Is this normal for this gun?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I can't speak about the safety issue, but my SR45 slide chambers a round when I insert a full mag "briskly".....Kinda disorienting until I got used to it. Wasn't sure if this was intended by the manufacturer.

I recently picked up an SR9C, but haven't had the slide do this.

Curious if this is an intended feature. It isn't unsafe in may opinion, but takes getting used to.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Never had a slide release like that on my 9c and 40c.

I don't carry like that, but I do carry IWB (Blackhawk) and never had a problem with the safety.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had several Sig p250s that chamber a round with mag insertion. Its the magazine that does it, as some of the mags I had would never do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts