SR9 owners: What defense loads do you use?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by TeleGuy53, Jun 21, 2018.

1. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

I like both the Speer Gold Dot JHP 115g round AND the Federal HST JHP 124g round, BUT

I read an on-line report which used a 9mm, semi-auto pistol with 4" barrel, in a standard denim/gel block test, and the results were:

Speer Gold Dot JHP 115g - 16.4" penetration
    Federal HST JHP 124g - 18.4" penetration

The Federal HST JHP 124g exceeded the FBI 12"-18" penetration requirements!

Has anyone heard/read anything similar, or had similar results?

Thanks, guys.

2. armbruse

armbruse Member

I found some SigSauer elite performance I like, dose what I want, not to different on feel when shooting from range round. Also as mentioned, like the Hornady

3. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

I'm going to try the Speer Gold Dot JHP 115g. Within the FBI guidelines, it gets the deepest penetration of the three that I like, and it's the same weight as my target loads.

If the Speer Gold Dot JHP 115g doesn't pan out, then I'll move to my 124g options: the Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot.

4. Carl Crosby

Carl Crosby Member

Some guys at a Website called Lucky Gunner have tested a LOT of ammunition, 9mm included. Their results may not match what I have read on sites like Stopping Power Forum, but it is a valuable resource, I think.
    Personally, I don't own a 9mm (yet), but I am no longer fascinated by the bark and bellow of my 357 Magnum full snort loads, so I shoot .38 Special +P and reload to that level. Standard, garden variety, available everywhere ammo seems to work just fine. Personally, I look for good penetration....maybe a bit of overpenetration, with expansion. Ballistic gelatin is not an exact replica of human anatomy, but is as good as we can get. A guy named Paul Harrel has several interesting videos on YouTube, and somewhere else on there is a very thought-provoking comparison of many current "defense cartridges". Evan Marshall and his friend Mike (?) Sanow have written two Books; "Handgun Stopping Power, and "Street Stoppers" Which you may be able to get your local library to order in for you. Somewhat dated, but, the more things change, the more they seem to stay the same. Just my never-humble opinions, worth exactly what you paid for them! :)

5. quirky

quirky Active Member

It was a great discovery and simple and straightforward information. I've even bought ammo from them before and if I do again it will because they provided a good deal of useful information without any bias.

My defensive carry load (in 9mm) is based off those test. Problem now is the cost has skyrocketed at least at my local Cabela's. Was in the store just yesterday to pick up a cheap of box of range ammo to get ready to go out to the club and exercise the gun and saw that defensive load (it's Barnes) at I believe if I saw right $39.99 for 20 rounds.

My guess is if that was indeed the price a lot of people are buying it based off the test Lucky Gunners did.
    It's a 115g +P round with very good consistency and unbelievable expansion.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  6. WizardMaster

WizardMaster SHARPSHOOTER

My #1 'go to' round that makes me feel ready to combat each and every bad guy is....

Winchester PDX Defender 124gr +P

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  7. quirky

quirky Active Member

Give it a rethink as the expansion is not that good, with slight over penetration. I've seen worst however so if the price is right probably just as good. Just thought I'd throw this out there if you were curious about how good it really is.

I use to use the PDX-1 .410 bore shell in my S&W Governor but the primers where to hard and most would never go off, but when it did it was a real hand cannon.

[​IMG]

WizardMaster likes this.
  8. WizardMaster

WizardMaster SHARPSHOOTER

I agree and the loads in those .410 shells with that disc count is a win win against any enemy nearby and produce great groupings even at moderate distances!! I use them in my 3" SS Judge.

9. Carl Crosby

Carl Crosby Member

Apropos of not much...I have read that it takes 32 FT/Lb. of energy to cause a wound, so it would seem to me that if expansion caused a major energy transfer to the original target, the remaining energy, if "overpenetration" were the bugabo that many make of it, perhaps for some of the rounds tested where penetration was barely beyond the FBI parameters would be such that they could be stopped by some level of the 4-layer fabric, if another layer were to be placed on the exit side of the gel block, or possibly would be found completely expended, within a very short distance behind the target. This is talking pistol rounds! Every gun/load is a law unto itself, and testing like Lucky Gunner does is valuable guideline information!

I once had a customer whose teen-age son was fooling with his 30-30, and touched off a round. It penetrated the drywall of his room, the brick veneer on the front of the house, went on to go through the metal of his pick-up truck, and fractured the bell housing, where it stopped. So, overpenetration IS a concern.

Otoh, when I was in the Military, there was this Major who was in charge of security at our lab one evening; Veddy Hush-Hush, you know...who had a Negligent Discharge of one of the Squadron's 1911s when he was watching his daughter's television. The old Hardball round entered the metal case, (this was in the Dark Ages) ricocheted around a while, and didn't exit. He was more worried about what his daughter was going to say about it than any disciplinary action that might be taken! Ah, well...RHIP!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  10. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Any high quality round, that is specifically marketed for defense, from a major manufacturer, should be good. We can split hairs all day, but I don't think two inches of penetration or a tenth of an inch more or less expansion makes that much difference. Gold dot? Great. HST? Knock yourself out. I use Critical defense because my EDC likes it. It also likes the old Federal FBI load but I can't find that stuff anywhere. But if I had to use PDX or V Crown I wouldn't be worried. They're all good if you hit where you should...

Carl Crosby and phideaux like this.
  11. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I see the OP was looking for information concerning a 4" barrel pistol. Below are some test results using a 3" barrel that were done by ShootingTheBull410 on YouTube.

He claims the gel material he uses meets some kind of FBI protocol for bullet testing. He explains before the start of each test.

Here are penetration numbers from the denim covered gel tests. He also tests bare gel.

Five shots each...

Speer Gold Dot JHP 115 gr:
    Penetration: 15.00", 16.50", 16.75", 17.50. (One failed to expand, exited the gel block).
    Good expansion in bare gel. One failed to open in denim covered gel.

Federal HST JHP 124 gr:
    Penetration: 13.75", 15.00", 15.25", 16.00", 16.50"
    Great expansion with all of these, bare gel or denim covered.