SR9 Owners: What Defense Loads Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by TeleGuy53, Jun 20, 2018.

1. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

Guys/Gals, which home/personal defense loads do you currently use in your SR9, and how did you arrive at your choice?

Thanks, in advance, for your insight.

2. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

Horady critical defense. I want a bullet weight the same as what I practice. I also like the plastic in the end as there is no hole for lint and junk. Which ever one you choose make sure your weapon likes them. The SR9 is pretty forgiving about ammo. Hope I never have to use them.

3. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

115g?

4. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

5. Sky1

Sky1 New Member

I like Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P
    I keep them for a few months then send them down range and load new ones into the magazines.

6. TeleGuy53

TeleGuy53 Member

After studying Lucky Gunner's 9mm Handgun Self-Defense Ammunition Ballistics Test (using < 4-inch barrels) and watching TNOUTDOORS9's ballistic tests on YouTube (using 4-inch barrel), I've chosen Federal HST 124g JHP as my primary defense load, and Speer Gold Dot 124g JHP as my secondary defense load.

My training load is now Federal 124g FMJ.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  7. aimtrue

aimtrue New Member

For all of my semiautomatic pistols, I too use the 124gr HST as my EDC ammo . During training, I shoot four magazines of it; two mags half point shooting and two mags front sight shooting.

During regular training drills I shoot 300 rounds of S&B 124gr FMJ. I also use this ammo for recreational shooting.

8. 0311

0311 Member

Federal HST’s are the way to go! They work, they are available, and if you shop online you can buy boxes of 50 for less than $20.

9. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

My Pops carries a SR9c, I carry an LC9s, and we both use Hornady 115 gr Critical Defense. It doesn't expand the most, but it expands very reliably.

Side note: When Pops goes south for the winter he stays in a trailer court and loads up with Federal Guard Dog, to limit penetration through those thin trailer walls...

I've been known to use 124 gr Starfire or plain old Winchester hollowpoints too.