Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope somebody here can point me in the right direction, so here is the whole story

I have an SR40c, it was light striking so it went back to Ruger. Upon return it functioned flawless for about 500 rounds (maybe a few more).

I have always been in the habit of dry firing all my guns before putting them away to release the tension. I continued this with the 40 not realizing doing so without a mag damages the magazine safety.

Now, it's light striking again. It's also not ejecting properly, not stove piping just only pulling the spent shell about half way out of the chamber.

I've cleaned every bit of oil out of the gun....no change

I've removed the magazine safety......no change

I'm really thinking the dry firing is the culprit, what else could have been damaged by my stupidity?

Can the ejector somehow be causing this?

I have a heavier spring for the striker but haven't put it in. I really would like to find a fix to the problem that keeps the gun stock

any ideas?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Does it not say it's ok to dry fire it in the manual? I don't think it's dry firing. Light strikes could be an issue with the primers. Also how many rounds per magazine is having a light strike?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Does it not say it's ok to dry fire it in the manual? I don't think it's dry firing. Light strikes could be an issue with the primers. Also how many rounds per magazine is having a light strike?
It says not to do so unless there is an empty magazine in it. Yesterday, 4 out of a 14 round magazine

The picture shows rounds shot at the range last night. I marked each one before loading the magazine then loaded them with the black mark up so I could tell where they were seated in the chamber when fired. The top 6 fired, the 4 below them didn't (donated 4 to the range gods). It appears to me the striker isn't hitting in the same location every time for whatever reason. My best guess is the hole the striker hits the primer through is off just a bit and is bending the tip of the striker just enough to not allow it to consistently hit the primer in the same location. As I said before, both CCI and Winchester primers.

It's likely going back to Ruger again

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Welcome to RugerTalk.

Its tradition for first post to be in "Introductions".

Plesae introduce yourself there, and tell us a little about yourself.

Im sure you will get feedback on your questions.

Thank you

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I might be wrong and it might be an illusion but the primers look to not set flush on some of the casings. The striker hits all look good enough to fire the rounds though. Are you reloading these rounds? I am guessing since you said two different primers that you are. Does it misfire with stock ammo? Did you try re-firing the failed rounds?
In my 40c I had never had a single problem with the gun then I suddenly had 6 random misfires from different magazines. I reloaded the failed rounds and they each took maybe as many as 3 more times before they fired off. It seems the problem was the box of WWB had a few reject primers in them. I have not had any problem since but I don't use WWB either.
I would try re-firing the failed rounds before I would send it off to Ruger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I might be wrong and it might be an illusion but the primers look to not set flush on some of the casings. The striker hits all look good enough to fire the rounds though. Are you reloading these rounds? I am guessing since you said two different primers that you are. Does it misfire with stock ammo? Did you try re-firing the failed rounds?
In my 40c I had never had a single problem with the gun then I suddenly had 6 random misfires from different magazines. I reloaded the failed rounds and they each took maybe as many as 3 more times before they fired off. It seems the problem was the box of WWB had a few reject primers in them. I have not had any problem since but I don't use WWB either.
I would try re-firing the failed rounds before I would send it off to Ruger.
They will fire if I put them back through the gun, and I've had them take 3 tries to go. I didn't put them back through so I could see what the primer strike looked like on the ones that didnt fire (and post picture here)

They are reloads, there is one in there that is slightly high but most aren't. Haven't tried stock ammo this go round, the first time it did it all I was shooting was WWB. I guess I could try something else just to rule it out but I really think it is the gun. It shot a few hundred reloads and WWB before the problem came back.

I hate to tell you.....what you are describing with yours is how mine started out

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Im not a smithy, but , those striker hits look very small in dia to me.

Im thinking it takes more of dia impact to fire the primer.

Some even look like light strikes to me.

Maybe these old eyes sre foolin me.;)

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
IMO when a round has to be fired 3 times before it goes off then that points to the ammo not the gun. All the striker hits on those primers look to be good enough strikes to me. I do see one that does have a lighter strike. I only had one box of WWB in with all my 40 ammo and it seems funny that box was only time I ever had a problem with my SR40c.
I got out some of my spent 40 rounds. Speer. Federal, and Winchester. The Federal did seem to have the deepest strikes for some reason. Most strikes are pretty much centered with a few are a tad bit off center. Most strikes are the same with very few lighter strikes.
I will admit I haven't shot my gun near as much as you have shot yours. A friend of mine has an SR9c which he said had to be sent back to Ruger for what was supposedly a common failure with the SR9C. I guess I need check on what that problem was.
I did just now check for SR40C light strike problems and there are several reports of the problem with this gun. Some said Ruger fixed it and some said they had to end it back several times. Some the guns were just replaced by Ruger. I guess sometimes there can be a lemon in the bunch. For the most part people report no problems and really like the gun.
I think just for the fun of it I will get the SR40C out for some shooting today. It is around 65 degrees today so time to punch some holes.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I went out today and shot 100 rounds of UMC and I had 1 light strike. I reloaded it and it fired on second try.
I shot an opened bag of Hill Country reloads of accustrike 40 sw FMJ 165gr and I had 3 misfires. These misfires had quite a few rounds between the first misfire and the latter two.Two fired the second try. I had to try the one round 6 times before it fired off. I checked the strike on primer each time and it was getting hit center same place every time. Well I don't know about the last time when it finally fired. I had a bunch of spent casing on the ground to know which was that one. I had no problems from another 100 rounds of the Hill Country reloads.
I did have trouble ejecting the one misfire and had to pry it off the ejector. I am wondering could the lip on the casing be deformed maybe causing the round to not sit correctly in the chamber? Couldn't this cause the slide to not close totally thus the striker wasn't close enough to the primer? Could this cause a light strike?

·
Registered
57 Posts
SR40c to the range this week and not one round would fire. Light strike on every round. Ruger told me they have a problem with light strikes. They wanted my gun. No questions. Just send the gun to them. Thought everyone should know.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Wow that is good to know. Did Ruger say it was more problematic with guns having shot a lot of rounds or didn't that matter?
Thanks for the info. I wonder is Ruger going to send out a recall notice to owners?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up sending it back to Ruger again, they had it 2 weeks and then replaced the entire gun with a new one at no charge. Was in a big hurry to shoot it (suffering from withdrawal) and didnt clean it first....also to see what it would do. Light strike on 1 round which I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt and say it was due to not giving it a good cleaning like most recommend. Havent had time to clean it and go back so we will see.....hopefully things will calm down a bit for me soon (had a fire in my house 3 weeks ago) and I can put a few hundred through it in the next few weeks and see what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went out today and shot 100 rounds of UMC and I had 1 light strike. I reloaded it and it fired on second try.
I shot an opened bag of Hill Country reloads of accustrike 40 sw FMJ 165gr and I had 3 misfires. These misfires had quite a few rounds between the first misfire and the latter two.Two fired the second try. I had to try the one round 6 times before it fired off. I checked the strike on primer each time and it was getting hit center same place every time. Well I don't know about the last time when it finally fired. I had a bunch of spent casing on the ground to know which was that one. I had no problems from another 100 rounds of the Hill Country reloads.
I did have trouble ejecting the one misfire and had to pry it off the ejector. I am wondering could the lip on the casing be deformed maybe causing the round to not sit correctly in the chamber? Couldn't this cause the slide to not close totally thus the striker wasn't close enough to the primer? Could this cause a light strike?
Send it to Ruger. Not sure about the laws where you are, Ruger will know. For me (and I'm in the Peoples Republic of Illinois) I could ship it via FedEx and receive it back without an FFL being involved. However, since the replaced the gun with a new one with different serial number it did have to go through an FFL

·
Registered
57 Posts
Answer to Buster40c. When I told Ruger about light strikes, the person said they have a problem and wanted them back. I would guess they take any back that complains.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I contacted Ruger email service dept. and should hear back within a few days. Will keep ya'll posted.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Do not understand using E-mail to make contact.

Pick up the phone, when you call you will get to talk to a real person, get straight answers, and if the gun needs to go back they will E-mail a prepaid shipping label.

Done and done, 10 minutes or less! Probably the best Customer Service you will have experienced in quite some time. :spot:

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Ring, ring, ring.....thank you for calling Ruger service dept. blah blah blah....we are transferring you to the next available service agent....blah blah blah......you are 5th in line for the next available agent.....please hold on as your call is important to us.....if you don't want to hold then you can leave a message using Ruger email blah blah blah.. about 2 more of the same blah blah blah and I hear you are now 4th in line for next agent... then more of the blah blah blah repeated a few times then I hear you are now the 3rd in line....repeat all the above scenario to second in line then repeat all the above again .....5 minutes [email protected]$$$.
I email and Ruger calls me back the next business day. BLAH BLAH BLAH We will send a return prepaid shipping label. UPS comes with the label and I attach it on my shipping box. UPS takes it for shipment and Ruger has it next day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I initiated my return via email and it was flawless. Also called them a couple times and only waited a few minutes. I deal with a lot of customer service people through work with different manufacturers. My opinion is they are top notch at Ruger.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Ruger service called me today and had me send my SR40c to them today. I can't complain about Ruger standing fully with their guns and customers. Because I had misfires with three different brands of ammo she told me to send it in to them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ruger is sending me a new SR40c. A shock with only light strikes. I was surprised with no conversation just return firearm to Ruger. They did say a problem with light strikes. Is this a recall with a redesign? What is the deal? Anyone know?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts