SR40c vs SR9c

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by DaddyGps, Feb 6, 2014.

1. DaddyGps

DaddyGps New Member

Any opinions on who each of these work as a ccw?

Any differences in how they shoot?

2. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

I at age 62 went with a friend to an indoor range and shot for the very first time. I shot his wife's .38 Revolver, his LC9 , his SR9 and his SR40C. I just fell in love with the SR40C. Between the Compacts the SR9C is a SMIDGE narrower at the slide. Other wise they are twins (except for caliber) I love the fact I can carry 9+1 in chamber, spare magazine has 15 rounds of .40S&&W. I use the 3 Speed Holster in Appendix carry (1:30) there is barely an outline.

I think if this firearm is right for you all you need to do is decide which caliber is best for you.

Attached Files:

3. bonefamily

bonefamily New Member

Thanks for posting this, kde71450. I have been looking for a holster that can be worn with basketball style, elastic waist band sport shorts. You find the 3 Speed works well like this, yes?

4. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

Very well. I am 63 retired and live in Gulf Coast Texas. As my first firearm i wanted something easily concealable, but bigger than a pocket carry. I opted for the SR40C and use for both home (15+1) and carry (9+1). I wear my 3Speed Holster
    from the time i awake till i go to bed.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/gear-accessories/47740-3-speed-holster-review-about-two-months.html This was a review I did after two months of wear... I am at about ten months now of using it 95% of the time (I also have a Sticky Holster. It main job is to have my bedside gun holstered so If needed in the middle of the night. I don't grab it half asleep and have Negligent Discharge) I am extremely happy with this rig.

[ame="http://youtu.be/PsqMnFSf0aQ"]http://youtu.be/PsqMnFSf0aQ[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  5. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

The guns are so close to size....and shooting the 40 has a little bit more recoil. I carry the SR40C.....since there so close, I like having the 40 cal power.......

6. GrimmSR

GrimmSR New Member

My wife wears an SR9c & I wear an SR40c for our CCWs. For me it's either my SR40c or my SR1911CMD, 75% of the time I prefer the SR40c for the weight & capacity.

Brian Grimm, RCP, RRT, AAS
    Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

7. lefty60

lefty60 New Member

I front pocket carry a SR9c, I only use the 10rd mags with the flat base. I chose the 9mm because I had a supply of ammo.

Buy the one that you like the best. They are both good choices:D

8. Lshooter

Lshooter New Member

I have several CCW pistols in 9, 40 and 45 but shoot my SR9C the best. We carry it with the 10 round mag without the pinky extension. Having small hands my pinky doesn't hang off.

We have over 1000 rounds through it and never an issue nor any excessive wear noted.

Great gun.

9. firefox

firefox New Member

10. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Since there is so little difference in ballistic performance between 9 and 40, why not carry the one that's cheaper to shoot and holds more rounds? Nine wins, hands down in that battle.

That being said, rent them both and carry the one you shoot best.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  11. Mrdaputer

Mrdaputer Member

That might have some truth to it but 40's are much easier to find and some places are not that much more in bulk. I agree to shoot them both and if you like the 40 better don't talk yourself down to a 9

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  12. GrimmSR

GrimmSR New Member

As far as PD ammo is concerned, 9mm & 40 cost the same if you know where to look on line, & if you're reloading your ammo you won't see much of a difference in cost. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  13. Lshooter

Lshooter New Member

Well in my area if you look around and are lucky 9mm will be 27¢ a round, 38¢ a round for 40 and 44¢ for 45. 22 which is the hardest to get is 4 1/2 ¢ a round. A lot of hoarding and resellers here

14. GrimmSR

GrimmSR New Member

Yeah same in my area, but I buy mine online so a box of 50 rounds is the same in 9mm or .40.

15. GrimmSR

GrimmSR New Member

16. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Down to a nine? I agree that you should carry what you shoot best. But, the 9mm is not a downgrade to .40 S&W. That's a ridiculous statement.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  17. Mrdaputer

Mrdaputer Member

I own both and 9 is down in size and that is a fact. Maybe not much but it is down. ;)

18. rugerguy62

rugerguy62 New Member

I bought both and can tell you that you can't go wrong with either gun, they are both great guns.

19. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I have the SR40c and really like the pistol. The gun handles recoil great and I am able to shoot it very accurately. Given the extra authority of the 40S&W round and the fact that the SR9c and SR40c have nearly identical dimensions, the SR40c seems like a good choice, not taking anything away from the SR9c.

20. refugee

refugee New Member

I own and shoot both. I carry the 40c just because it shoots a slightly larger bullet and the mag capacity is only slightly less. they both are good shooters the key being to practice with what you carry. I was always taught to carry the biggest one I could use well, and since there is no SR45c the 40c will suffice.