SR40c function test

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by VThillman, Apr 28, 2016.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

This was just that, a function check; more thorough range work mañana. Field stripped, cleaned (it didn't need much) last evening. Left the finger rest mag bases in place for this test.

Fired 18 rounds (2 mags worth) of Winchester white box FMJ, at 12 yards, the last 12 rounds one-handed. 2nd round was a yank, the rest stayed in the 12" bull. Enough scatter so that the factory sight setting was only probably OK. Determined that 2 fingers squeezing the grip is enough, the recoil being so manageable. Swapped out to the plain mag bases when I came home.

The recoil is so moderate that I've decided to go one-handed with this gun. Would be one-handed anyway if the BG was too close to start with.

I like the gun; it handles good and even looks good. I'll need to get used to the trigger. Not too stiff, but long and a little 'gritty'. My only other experience with a striker-fired centerfire handgun has been with a S&W M&P that I didn't have long. The safety lever is too small and stiff to be useful for CCW, I think. The trigger safety will have to do.

Tomorrow, I will bring another 18 roungs of FMJ, and maybe 24 of the Winchester white box JHP, and work on 'trigger familiarization'.

I'm thinking that, if police departments had carried Ruger SR40s, they wouldn't have thought it necessary to switch to 9x19. The gentleness of the recoil is impressive.

2. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm bettin that gritty trigger will go away with use.

Jim

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I figured you would like the SR40c. 40 SNAP ? Not with this gun! I actually like the trigger on this gun better than the G27 or the XDM. You might try a really good oil, like Mobil synthetic, down in the trigger innerd contact points. I believe the more you shoot it the better the trigger will get. It isn't a 1911 trigger but I have no complaints on mine. I don't even have a complaint on the side safety, I just flick it on/off with side of my thumb.
    With having the LCR 357, SR40c and the Kimber Ultra Carry ll I have figured I am done searching for a good CC gun.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Thanks Magnum. LOL It was a little difficult getting them to stay put long enough to get the pic.

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

A BTW about the SR40c documentation:

A magazine disconnect is mentioned in several places. My gun has no magazine disconnect. Since I don't like magazine disconnects, I'm not complaining...

Regarding dry-firing:

The manual points out that the trigger reset happens during the first fraction of an inch of slide travel during the eject/reload cycle. This permits dry-firing by moving the slide manually that short distance, AND also allows a 2nd try at popping a reluctant primer. Neat.