Sr40 light-strike

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by chelboed, May 5, 2013.

1. chelboed

chelboed Member

Just like it sounds. I have run 150 rounds through it and it's had one light-strike. Using CCI #500 primers. My dad had one light-strike in his as well.

I polished my striker, removed my mag disconnect, and thoroughly went through the Stryker channel. Going to try to get back out and try again.

When you entrust you're life to something...it must always work. If I have to install a heavy striker spring, I'm selling it and finding a pistol with a hammer. (p94, baby eagle, etc...) I'm not willing to turn an otherwise nice pistol into something with a ridiculously heavy trigger due to a heavy Stryker spring. The trigger was pretty absurd right out of the box to begin with, but the Galloway Ghost bar and polishing linkage contacts fixed that completely. I don't want to take a big step back and make a compromise in performance when previous generations or other manufacturers have long solved it.

Any other advice?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. rapidroy

rapidroy New Member

While I may not have the SR40, I do have the SR40c. I've had a few which I attributed to the old way I was handling the primers. Once I updated my press it's zero problems and I have 1000 plus rounds thru this.

3. chelboed

chelboed Member

"handling"?

4. chelboed

chelboed Member

I use a Lee Auto Prime. Have been for 20 years.

5. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

I've got upwards of 8000 rds through my SR40 and the only problems I've ever had was four or five rounds of a local reloaders product I tried...other than that it's eaten everything that's been put through it. Gun is still in stock configuration.

Gene

6. chelboed

chelboed Member

Good for you...bad for me, lol.

Still doesn't answer my boggle.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  7. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

Just saying no issues with my SR40...not sure what your problem is.
    Sounds like you've done some cool mods though.

8. chelboed

chelboed Member

8000 rounds is impressive. How is it wearing?

9. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

Had an issue with the lower camblock pin last summer ..sent it in to Ruger and it's been 100% since ...some slight scuff marks here and there from usage is all. I try and keep it as clean as I can and I plan on getting a new spring for the guide rod ...not sure if thats the right terminology or not but I'm sure it takes alot of abuse.

10. refugee

refugee New Member

are you sure the primers were bottomed out? I had a few that didn't get seated correctly once and that gave me fits. it only takes a few thousandths to make it push instead of fire. mine would go on the second hit, and when I reset my shell plate a little tighter the problems went away. just a thought, if an old fossil like me with 30 years reloading can make a mistake, well you know.

11. chelboed

chelboed Member

That's a thought. I'm pretty sure they're seated, but I'll check. Thanks.