Sr22

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by buster40c, Dec 26, 2014.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about getting a Ruger SR22 but I thought I already have four 22lr handguns so I decided to hold off. Well today I went can plinking with a friend and I let her shoot my Ruger MKII and my Phoenix h22a and she really liked the Phoenix and she actually shot it better than I do. She kept wanting to shoot the Phoenix. She said she wanted to buy one like it.
    I told her I have been thinking about buying another gun and if she would give me $160 she could have the Phoenix. She got into her purse super quick and handed me two one hundred dollar bills and said I owe her $40. LOL she got herself the gun.
    So now I am going looking for the Ruger SR22.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I bought one last year.

I have at least 15 .22lr handguns, but I will keep buying them if I like em.

My SR22 is REALLY a nice little shooter, fits my hand nice, mine is accurate out to 20 yrds, and so far feeds everything i feed it.

Kids love it also, good trainer to teach them how to load /dissassemble something other than a revolver.

Good choice.

Jim

3. phideaux

I do have a pic... they all look alike...;)

[​IMG]

Jim

4. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I have found the SR22 to be a great little pleaser. New shooters really like its mannerly ways, modest recoil, and accuracy.

Love these little guys!

[​IMG]

5. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

I shot my friends one time ....loved it. But after seeing Ruger is bringing back the 22 Charger Pistol....I got to get one.....

6. buster40c

I do have to say the Phoenix HP22A never once failed and it was fairly accurate with the short barrel. For an inexpensive pistol it sure was a good little pocket gun. It shot whatever 22lr ammo I fed it. All metal it was a little heavier than expected but lol then it didn't have squat for recoil. It was sort of a PITA to field clean. Better to just spray it clean then air blow it out.
    I hope I like the SR22 as much or better.

7. Raineydaydog

Raineydaydog New Member

I've had one for a year or more and shoot it often. Great little auto, I find that it is sensitive to getting dirty. Shoots fine then all of a sudden won't feed. Clean it up and it's good to go.

8. NoWake200

NoWake200 New Member

The SR22 was my wife's first that I got for her. It wasn't at all intimidating for and she was able to get the mechanics of handling and firing a semi-auto. Now she is handling .380 and 9mm without any problems and today did a great job with her CHL qualification. The other day she fired at big 1911 and it didn't phase her, I guess what I'm trying to say, I'm glad we started with a small gun first as to not freak her out with the bigger ones that could build fear and/or anticipation. SR22 is a great first gun for anyone and I enjoy the heck out of shooting it as well.

9. phideaux

Hi NoWake,

Welcome to RugerTalk,

Sure would like to see you over in "Introductions". and introduce yourself to everyone on RT.

Jim

10. buster40c

I watched a you tube video comparing the Walther P22 and the Ruger SR22. Ruger won. The way it looked my Phoenix HP22A was more reliable than the Walther P22 and was about 1/2 the price to boot. I got a decent/good price from my LGS and should get the SR22 next week.

11. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I'm sure that you will really enjoy the SR22. I have shot the heck out of mine and really had some good times with the gun. I have found these guns to be very reliable and surprisingly accurate for a gun this size.

12. seadragon851

seadragon851 New Member

Got one for Christmas...love it. Right now running an assortment of ammo to see what works best. Obviously the "quiet" ones don't cycle the slide. Anyone know of ammo evals for the SR22?

13. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I did one several years ago. The upshot was that it ran Federal Blue Box, Remington Goldens, CCI mini mags just fine. Also Centurion ammo, which was plentiful at the time. I did not find any ammo that did not run well in the SR22.

14. QBToo

QBToo New Member

Agree with all of the positive comments. I have a couple SR22s and they have been fantastic guns. I keep them in the outside pocket of my 10/22 Takedown bags so they go everywhere my 10/22s go...and ALWAYS to the range.

Not my "normal" colors in guns (prefer hard chrome/SS) but what the heck :D

[​IMG]

15. buster40c

I finally got to shoot my new SR22 since the weather has warmed up a bit and the wind has dropped way down now.
    It seemed to be shooting a little low from 30' and instead of adjusting the sights I just adjusted my aiming. I hit the center pretty often then. I am not the greatest marksman by any means what so ever and that I was able to hit the bullseye so many times tells me the gun is more accurate than I thought it was going to be with such a short sighting length. I had a few misfires due to crappy WWB 22lr ammo but a few out of about 300 wasn't bad. The gun itself had no malfunctions.
    The two bigger holes in top right target came from my LCR 357 mags. Going from the SR22 to the LCR357 was quite the wake up call. Sheesh! No I wasn't going to shoot 300 rounds of 357!
    I had a few zingers but after some shooting I was able to put most in the center or keep a fairly close pattern anyway. Like I said I am no match champion shooter to begin with.

Attached Files:

16. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Looks good....I have thought about getting one of these guns....