SR22 trigger not resetting

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by 1Popeye1, Apr 5, 2013.

1. 1Popeye1

1Popeye1 New Member

I haven't had a chance to spend quality time at the range with my SR22 yet, but I took it out yesterday to just put a couple of magazines through it. The first magazine went fine, but the second magazine fired the first shot ejected and fed but seems as though the trigger did not reset. Ejected and fed repeatedly and the trigger acted as though the magazine is not in. Anyone have this experience ? I haven't stripped it yet to investigate, but something is definitely wrong.

2. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

Sounds like the magazine isn't engaging the mag disconnect safety, since one mag works fine I would look at the other magazine and see if you could figure out what is causing it not to engage the safety. Hopefully it's just a burr that can be knocked off. Worst case contact customer service and swap it out.

3. 1Popeye1

1Popeye1 New Member

Hope you are right, it was the same magazine though. I forgot to grab my second mag when I left home and just reloaded the same mag

4. 1Popeye1

1Popeye1 New Member

Well, I sent my SR22 back to Ruger. I'll let you know what they do for me.

5. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

Yes, please keep us informed.

6. HiddenPuppy

HiddenPuppy New Member

I had the same problem. Called Ruger they said it was the magazine that was cut wrong and they would send me two more. Hope they were right and that this solves the problem

7. ScottyShooter

ScottyShooter New Member

I was cleaning my magazines and reassembled the thumb notch(where you hold down to load) upside down and when I went to cycle the slide, would not lock back. I finally figured it out, if it is in upside down will not catch on disconnect safety.

8. 1Popeye1

1Popeye1 New Member

Well, I just got it back, I sent it last Thursday and got it back this past Thursday. I was happy with the quick turnaround. They said they made a repair and replaced the magazine. (I didn't send the other, my bad). I wasn't thrilled with their description of what exactly they did. They said that they fired 40 rds of CCI with no problems. I'm taking it out in the morning to shoot it. I'll let you know if the problem is gone.

9. HiddenPuppy

HiddenPuppy New Member

Just got new magazines from Ruger Went to the range sent 100 rounds down the lane. Everything was perfect no more problems of trigger not resetting!!!!!!!!

10. 1Popeye1

1Popeye1 New Member

The magazine that Ruger replaced worked great, but the one that I screwed up and didn't send back had a FTF on the 2nd rd. and didn't hold the slide open on the last shot. I called Ruger and they are sending me out a replacement magazine. Should have it tomorrow. Hopefully that'll be the end of the problems

11. pvq

pvq PVQ

I had the same issue, but Ruger wanted me to send the gun back as opposed to swapping out the one mag that was giving me trouble.

I had an extended conversation with the tech at Ruger. Basically this is a tolerances issue. A number of mags got out that are within manufacturing spec, but due to minute differences in manufacturing tolerances (which is inevitable) are failing to reliably engage the magazine disconnect because the magazine disconnect is recessed too much. I assume they are going to install some type of bushing that will push the disconnect out so that it is reliably actuated by all the magazines out there.

Even though this issue likely could be resolved by swapping out the bad magazine, I guess on balance its better to send back the whole gun and have this modification completed so that going forward, the gun will work with all the magazines available for it. It is damn frustrating to have to send back a brand new gun that I have been in possession of for less than a week for a problem that could have been easily avoided by just leaving out an extraneous, useless, and nearly universally loathed feature (the magazine disconnect).

This is the number one reason I would never buy a strictly defensive firearm with a magazine disconnect safety, and though I am a huge fan of Ruger (I have 10 of them) I will never give up my Glock for serious social work.

I'm not going to be fully satisfied unless they throw in an extra mag or two when the gun comes back.

12. 1Popeye1

1Popeye1 New Member

Ruger replaced the magazine that I didn't send back originally with the gun. I am in business, gun now works as it should. I got a polishing cloth for my inconvenience. If you get anything more than that I'd be amazed. I have a Mark lll Hunter and an LC9 and I have never had an issue with either. I am glad that I got my SR22 issues worked out so that I can get back on the "Ruger" bandwagon

13. MrsBob

MrsBob New Member

I bought the SR 22 June 1st. and shot Maybe 3-4 shots and then it started acting up like other posters have said.
    Took mine back to the place that i bought it at and they exchanged the magazine's but it did the same thing again.
    Took it back again and this time the store replaced/exchanged the gun for me.
    And shot 50 rounds on the way home and it shot great. 3 FTE blaming that on ammo.;)
    But Happy all the way around. With store and with gun!!:)

14. Happyhoeker

Happyhoeker New Member

I have been having the same issue with my SR22. I sent Ruger an email. We'll see what they come up with. I don't want to send my brand new gun back to the manufacturer. I have four magazines. Two work fine. The other two fail to reset the trigger. Must be that dang magazine safety.:confused:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ruger Forum mobile app

15. pvq

pvq PVQ

"I don't want to send my brand new gun back to the manufacturer."

I didn't want to send my brand new gun back either, but I feel much better now that I did. At least in theory the problem is fully corrected and the gun will work with any magazine.

I still HATE the mag safety!