SR22 or 22/45 Lite for a suppressor?

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by Modeler, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Modeler

Modeler New Member

Ok learned Ruger fans, which would you choose as a host for an SWR Sparrow rimfire suppressor and why? An SR22 with threaded barrel or a 22/45 Lite?

Use is both at the range and on my own rural property for plinking, target shooting, pest control, etc...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  2. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

I think I would do the 22/45.
    I don't know first hand, but I would suspect that the SR22 would feel pretty unbalanced with a suppressor.

3. weblance

weblance New Member

I have both threaded, and a SS Sparrow. I really like both, as each is different. The SR22P is a fun plinker, the LITE is a better target gun. I also have a 22/45 steel, threaded barrel, and it actually easier to get better groups than the LITE, because of the weight. If your interest is more casual, fun plinking, camping, bouncing tin cans with your friends, then the SR22P shines. If you are looking for more serious work, where absolute tight groups are needed, such as hunting, then one of the 22/45s is probably better. If you can only afford one, the 22/45 is probably a better choice, because it is more accurate. You wont be disappointed in either, because they both are fun, and make good hosts. I think the 22/45 does have the edge, slightly. I also have 11 other threaded 22 pistols, and would have a few recommendations if you decide Ruger isnt what you want. There are some other good choices..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  4. Modeler

Modeler New Member

Interesting, thanks for the first-hand comparison. I had disregarded the steel threaded 22/45 version because I thought it only came with rails (and I like iron sights), but another look shows that there is a version that does indeed come with iron sights. I guess I'll have to consider that one too!

5. weblance

weblance New Member

The LITE IS nice. The all steel threaded 22/45 is a great pistol that will last for many years, and thousands of rounds. It is quite a bit heavier than the other two, but that can be an advantage, and a dis-advantage depending. It makes it stable when trying for the best accuracy. It makes it bomb proof. It makes it a bit heavy if packing all day on the hip. You certainly wont break it. I like the matte finish. Makes for a stealthy pistol. Ruger just recently added the adjustable rear sight, something they should have done years ago. Mine was a fixed rear sight version, I replaced that for the adjustable rear. It is drilled for, and ships with the top rail, but isnt drilled for the bottom rail. If you look at my second picture, there are two other threaded pistols that are excellent also. A Sig Mosquito, and a S&W 422.

6. Modeler

Modeler New Member

I just got back from selling some items to finance tomorrow's suppressor purchase. On the way home I stopped by my LGS to check out Ruger .22 pistols. They had both the SR22 and the target model 22/45 (same as the threaded version, but without the threads). After looking both of them over, I have decided that the 22/45 will better suit my needs. The main reason is the safety; on the SR22 the switch goes down for "safe" and up for "fire". This is exactly backwards from the 1911 I have and the M&P series I may own in the future. The 22/45 has a safety that functions closer to what I consider normal (down is fire, up is safe) so I think I'll go with it for training consistency.

The only choice left is the 22/45 Lite or the 22/45 Threaded model. He said they get freight in every Thursday morning and they do regularly get both models in. One of the local gun clubs has their annual gun show in a couple weeks if I'm unable to locate them to do a head-to-head comparison before then.

7. weblance

weblance New Member

The 22/45 is probably a better choice for a first host. That being said, if the ONLY reason you decided against the SR22P is because of the operation of the safety lever, you may want to re-think that decision. You cant carry the SR22P "Cocked & Locked".The safety lever is a decocker. Are you are going to carry a Double Action pistol, with the hammer down, then sweep off the safety, and take a Double Action shot? Why? The safety can simply be ignored with a pistol of this type. Load, use safety to decock(if you choose to use the decocker), then sweep safety off. The SR22P even has a hammer safety notch, if you are nervous about the hammer resting on the firing pin.

8. Rking1550

Rking1550 New Member

[​IMG]
    I like my 22/45 lite.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Attached Files:

9. Modeler

Modeler New Member

Interesting, I noticed that it decocked the SR22 but I thought it was a safety as well. So it will fire DA with the "safety" on? Will the subsequent shots be SA or DA with the "safety" on?

This won't be my first host (already have a Walther P22), but I keep hearing how the Rugers are better quality than the Walther and I can always use another handgun!

10. Modeler

Modeler New Member

I've seen two different versions of the Lite, one is the one you have with the angles serrations along the barrel and the receiver. The Ruger website shows one with shallow fluting on the barrel but no serrations anywhere.

[​IMG]

Did they make a manufacturing change at some point along the way?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  11. Rking1550

Rking1550 New Member

The "gold" one that I have, I believe was only produced for a couple of years. And is not available any more. But I could be wrong, it's happened before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

12. weblance

weblance New Member

There have actually been three 22/45 LITE pistols. The original Gold was the first. There was a Distributor Exclusive, sold by Talo, that was the gold styling, but in Black. Talo called it, of all things... the Black LITE :rolleyes:. The current Ruger offering is the Black version with the Horizontal barrel flutes. The two previous versions(Gold and Talo) are commanding inflated prices because they were first, and second editions. There is no mechanical differences between the three versions.

NO
    It wont fire with the safety on

13. Modeler

Modeler New Member

Understood. I went and payed for the suppressor today, on the way back home I stopped into a gun shop and they had a 22/45 Lite in stock. The price was acceptable, but I didn't have much money left after the suppressor so I put it on layaway. It was the right thing to do :D

14. weblance

weblance New Member

Congratulations. Be aware, its addictive. I started out with my LITE. I wanted a threaded pistol, with adjustable sights, and at that time, the LITE was Rugers only threaded pistol that had adjustable sights. I figured that one pistol would be all I needed for my suppressor, when it arrived. By the time the suppressor did arrive, I had another pistol that was threaded, a Smith & Wesson 422. I suddenly found that shooting suppressed was so much fun, that I wanted to try more, and different pistols. I now have 14 pistols that are threaded, working on a 15th, and two rifles, working on two more.

15. Modeler

Modeler New Member

Nice! I already have a .30 suppressor that lives on a short-barreled AR-15, it's great!

For this suppressor I already have a P22 and an AR with a .22 upper that are both threaded. I'll probably get a bolt-action .22 and thread it too, just to hear what it sounds like without the bolt running with each shot.

Good times!

16. Modeler

Modeler New Member

Oh, and I'll probably thread my 10/22's as well :)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  17. weblance

weblance New Member

I have a threaded 10/22 and its great. With a poly bolt buffer, its nice and quiet. I thought about having one of my bolt action 22 rifles threaded, but decided I probably wouldnt shoot it much, because the 10/22 is so much fun, and really quiet. I also have a Savage 64 TR-SR that came threaded. Both are great rifles.

18. Edwood314

Edwood314 New Member

What was the suppressor you ended up getting? The ss sparrow? Am curious as I just bought a 22/45 lite maybe a week ago and would like to buy a suppressor for it. Thanks for any info!

19. Modeler

Modeler New Member

I ended up getting a Sparrow SS. I don't have it yet of course, I'm 5 months in and the current projection from NFATracker is August-October.

20. Edwood314

Edwood314 New Member

Okay I've heard very good things about that suppressor! Only bad thing I've heard is the first round pop is louder then other suppressors. Has anyone that owns this suppressor experienced this? Just curious as I am about to buy one of these but haven't heard one in person. Thanks for any info!