SR22 dud Q's...

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by chelboed, Mar 11, 2013.

1. chelboed

chelboed Member

From all that I've been reading, the SR22 is sounding like a cheap, plastic, failure-prone brick.

Convince me otherwise? One poster mentioned that he sent his in after 6000 rounds and the factory was astounded that he was able to get that much out of it?

Broken slide releases?

People blowing the slide off the front of the pistol?

You never hear of this kinda catastrophic dangerous failure from a MK 1, 2, or 3. Heck...my dads Mk2 is 20 years old and still shoots as tight as my savage rifle.

I also know though...that more people report failure than success.

I love the size, in-hand feel, and portability of the SR22....

...can I trust it?

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. justin626

justin626 New Member

The only problem that I've heard of is the takedown lever breaking. But the consensus, from what I hear, is that the problem was addressed by Ruger. So it should only be a concern with the first ones that came out. I guess they had "pistol" on the slide and the newer ones do not.

If worse comes to worse, Twin Tech Tactical makes a replacement for it for only 20 bucks.

I've sent a couple hundred rounds thru mine with no changes. I also inspect the lever after every range visit, just in case. Other then that, they don't like the match grade or sub-sonic rounds.

3. chelboed

chelboed Member

Excellent to hear this.

4. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

I have close to 1000 rounds thru mine never had a problem with it, know three others who have had theirs a lot longer then me (got mine in jan, they've had theirs for 6-11 months), not one has said they have anything ever go wrong with theirs.

Our combined biggest complaint is the magazine isn't big enough, the gun doesn't move off target at all can go thru 10 rounds in a blink of the eye.

5. RugerRon60

RugerRon60 New Member

I have NO idea where did is coming from, I had a few issues at first Ruger stood behind it and fixed them promptly, My SR22 has shot the last 600 round with out a hiccup and it looks like new. I know people that has over 5000 rounds through theirs and still going strong. The lever breaking is most likely from the owner not making sure it was snapped back in properly after cleaning. The SR22PB is a awesome pistol. But thats from me owning one and the other people I know that own them.

6. DonnieD

DonnieD New Member

Not trying to criticize you but I haven't heard any of these issues on the Ruger forum or rimfire central.

My SR22 has been a great gun, different than my Ruger .22/45 but much more like a training surrogate for a bigger bore defensive pistol.

I think for every person who might discourage you from buying a SR22, you'll find 20 saying go for it. Don

7. chelboed

chelboed Member

I appreciate this feedback, guys. Google can be an ugly thing. So many people complain about a failure, but few praise a success.

If y'all endorse it, I'm inclined to bite. I've had several Rugers over my short life and loved every single one except for a10" blue mkII that had a lot of hang fires. Sold it and got a stainless...zero issues. P89's, Sr's, Redhawks, GP100's, Super Singles, Mini's...all have been wonderful. Why would an SR22 be different, right?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  8. cjs1945

cjs1945 Member

I got my SR22p 4 days after Ruger first announced it, so it is an early one with Pistol on slide and after 2000 rounds it is still functioning flawlessly. I run 300 rounds threw it before it was ever cleaned and other then the CCI Quiet low velocity round i haven't found any ammo that it has a problem with. I have heard of the barrel loosening up on early built pistols, but mine has not showed any sign of it. I bought 4 extra mags for it and whenever i go to range it always goes along, it is a really fun little pistol to shoot, it is alot of enjoyment for the price.

9. Speakeasy

Speakeasy New Member

Enjoying mine. This is an especially great gun for maintaining the "basics" in handgun technique, IMHO.
    Prolly 500 rds thru this baby, no prob's at all.

10. colin1230

colin1230 New Member

Nice little plinker. Sometimes light target ammo fails to cycle the slide far enough to pick up the next round. No problem, I'm plinking.

11. giturgun

giturgun New Member

What Year is the 1500 speakeasy. I have a 88 83000 miles and still runs great

Attached Files:

12. dug23

dug23 New Member

I've had great service outa my SR22. I've shot everything through it. Stingers to Remington. Seems to like everything I feed it. Only drawback is mags are pricey.