Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the shortage of 22lr I' willing to try most any ammo that is still reasonably priced.
I've never used Rem Golden 40gr coated copper coated rnd nose.
Did I make a mistake in buying some? Reliable? Dirty? What's your experience?
I've used Thunderbolt and they are very dirty but reliable 'til everything fouls up. Then there is FTfeed and stove piping and inaccurate. I have some is you want them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
haven't had any issues with even thunderturds in either my 22/45 to model 60 Marlin, other than when I go home and clean them up. (makes me want to throw up.) I have shot about 150 goldens coppers, they are not as messy, they seem to carry a more uniform powder charge (none of the weak poppers of thunderbolts). fairly accurate. Just a note, I have taken to carrying a few minimag with me, and putting a few of those down the pipe after 100 thunderbolts really seems to help.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Remington Golden 40s are among my favorite ammo for my Mark IIIs and my SR22s. Slightly on the dirty side when you handle it, but not bad at all in the gun. Very reliable and decent bulk ammo. I have a ton of it in the stash and I shoot it all the time.

Goldens are nothing like Thunderbolts. Thunderbolts WILL lead up your gun. They will foul the rifling so bad that after about 120-150 rounds there is no effective rifling, the gun loses zero and accuracy, and starts keyholing. I still have the better part of a brick of that crap and I will never shoot it or give it away because I wouldn't do that to anyone.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remington Golden 40s are among my favorite ammo for my Mark IIIs and my SR22s. Slightly on the dirty side when you handle it, but not bad at all in the gun. Very reliable and decent bulk ammo. I have a ton of it in the stash and I shoot it all the time.

Goldens are nothing like Thunderbolts. Thunderbolts WILL lead up your gun. They will foul the rifling so bad that after about 120-150 rounds there is no effective rifling, the gun loses zero and accuracy, and starts keyholing. I still have the better part of a brick of that crap and I will never shoot it or give it away because I wouldn't do that to anyone.
I HAVE SAME EXPERIANCE WITH Thunderbolt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts