SR22 Ammo Question.....

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by Randyp1234, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Randyp1234

Randyp1234 New Member

I have a question about my wife's new SR22. She bought this based on its reputation that it will shoot anything. I know every gun has it's own personality and that ammo the works well in one may not work well in another. I've read some people saying they can shoot Winchester Super-X match with no problem and hers is pretty much unusable with it.

My questions are:I'm making the assumption that failure to extract and/or feed is based partly on lower FPS numbers - is this correct?

What other specs might help determin better performance?

We live in a smallish town in central Illinois where basically no one has 22LR ammo so it's really not possible to search out specific brands unless we start ordering from web sites - which we can certainly do.

Also, is there anything hardware wise we should look at that may improve performance? With this being my first post here you can safely assume that we are *very* new to gun ownership and maintenance so give me the "mother-in-law" version of advice :)

Thanks,

Randy

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hi Randy,
    Welcome to Rugertalk, glad to have ya.

Is the round getting stuck in chamber?
    Is the next round jamming going into chamber?

If memory serves me , I believe the Win Super X is longer in length that most other .22. Thats not good in semi auto magazine fed pistols, by hanging up in magazine .

Next ,try different magazine, and check the mags for dirt or damage on feed lips, Im assuming you thouroughly cleaned the gun.

If you have other brands of ammo, check the OAL (overall length) and compare, and try shooting other.

Does it eject by hand, if you pull slide back and eject unfired round each time?

The super X should be high enough velocity to cycle the slide properly.

Hope this helps a little.

I encourage you to go to "Introductions" and introduce yourself, so we all can know a little more about you.

Thanks

Jim

3. D_Ruger

D_Ruger New Member

I use CCI in mine, and I have not had a single issue with it :)

4. kidd62

kidd62 New Member

I also had a problem with my SR22. My first attempt was with a Federal 40 grain lead long rifle. Out of ten shots I would get one or two fail to loads. I might add that these shoot very well in my 10/22. My next attempt was with a Federal 36 grain copper which shot flawlessly. I also found the CCI 36 grain mini mag to work very well. If you can find them, I would highly recommend the mini mag.

5. Randyp1234

Randyp1234 New Member

Thanks Phideaux,

We've had a few different things happen with this ammo mainly failure to eject and separately to load. I'm pretty sure it's not the magazines because we've had them all loaded with some Federal auto match rounds and they've worked pretty much flawlessly. Two magazines came with the gun and two others were bought later (Ruger branded). The faster Winchester Power Point also works well.
    I've compared the Winchester to the Federal and there’s no length difference I can see with the naked eye.
    It will eject and reload when cycling the slide by hand.
    The Super X that gives us problems is 40 grain 1150 fps. The Power Point is 1280 and the Federal is 1200.

Randy

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like your SR22 is a little finnicky about the SuperX ammo.

I have a SR22 ,and I have not shot a lot of different ammo yet, but Federal bulk, CCI, thunderbolt are all flawless.

Jim

7. Randyp1234

Randyp1234 New Member

Sweet!!! Several weeks ago my wife's boss gave her two 550 count boxes of Something - I think it was Winchester white box. Later they both realized that it was hollow point and that he intended to keep that and give her something else. We finally got around to swapping for the non-hollow points today and he gave us two 500 count bricks of CCI Blazer. From what I hear that ought to work real well.

Would still like to know if a higher FPS is a good shopping criteria though, if anyone knows.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Randy

8. robhic

robhic Curmudgeon

The CCI Blazer ammo is great stuff. Some of the better ammo, IMO. One thing to watch for, however: Depending on age, there might be some impending problem.

About 2 years ago I had some (about 4 boxes) of CCI Blazers. Two boxes of the loose 550 count and 2 boxes of the 500 individually boxed (10 boxes of 50). The loose bulk stuff caused a LOT of lead buildup in my barrel! :eek: NO problem with the individual boxes! Go figure.

After cleaning, I wrote CCI and they admitted they had had some problems with the loose bulk and told me to send what I had left back to them and they would replace it. I asked for the individual boxed stuff and they complied. No problems with that and all is right with the world.

Just be careful in case the Blazers you have are older. They should shoot just fine, but check after every 20 or so rounds (yes, that few...) and use a light of some kind to look down the barrel to see if you spot any lead building up in the bore. Have a pocket cleaning kit (or something) with you to brush it out and you should probably be OK.

Just a heads up. If the ammo is newer than 2 years or so, it might be just fine. But watch it at first.

9. Randyp1234

Randyp1234 New Member

I should be good then Robhic. These are boxes of the 50 count packages plus I thing they're only a couple months old.

Thanjs,

Randy

10. Randyp1234

Randyp1234 New Member

Double Sweet!! I dropped in to a local pawn shop on the outside chance they had *any* 22LR. Not only did the have some but it was CCI Mini-Mag!!

Randy