SR1911 aftermarket sights

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Black7Series, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Black7Series

Black7Series New Member

For those of you who have purchased aftermarket sights for your 1911 and it shoots STRAIGHT without modification, what sight heights did you order? Mine has been shooting a bit low for me and a friend and I'd like to correct it while switching to night sights.

There are like 6 or 7 height options to choose from and I'm stuck.

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hello Black7sreies,

Welcome to RugerTalk,

Thanks for joining,

Maybe you could tell us a little about yourself, and hopefully someone here can help you with the question you have about 1911 sight heights,

I did move your first post from the Rimfire section to our Introductions section.

Jim

3. Black7Series

Black7Series New Member

About me, for starters, I'm a newbie here. I was looking for a kimber but the sr1911 caught my eye and I "pulled the trigger" lol. I couldn't be happier with it. I'm 21, big time car guy, and I just started my job doing security a little over a month ago.

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. I think Tommy might be able to give you some info on the sights.

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Welcome from Texas.

If you don't get an answer here CS at Ruger might be able to answer your questions about different sight heights.

6. Black7Series

Black7Series New Member

I messaged ruger around the time when I purchased my SR and they said that they didn't have any information on the heights and to email novak directly. I did and I don't think I ever got a reply.
    I think ill just order them tall and have my gunsmith file as needed.

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Well, I have a strange idea..... Molding clay.

After you shoot a group, measure the distance they go low from your point of aim.
    Apply layers of clay to the top of the rear sight till your sight picture is raised (from aiming point) the same amount your group went low.

The depth bar on vernier calipers could be used for before and after sight measurements. (Or you could come up with some other way to measure it).
    It will be tedious working the clay but it might get you in the ball park.

I use molding clay to check piston to valve clearance and such in motorcycle engines. You'd be surprised how precise you can be with it.
    A little oil will keep the clay from sticking to stuff you don't want it to stick to.

Never tried clay for sights so it's just an idea. :) :confused:

8. Black7Series

Black7Series New Member

That's not a bad idea. Then order sights with about the same difference as my clayed/adjusted sights. If I don't get a definite answer before I'm about to order them, I might go ahead and try that.

Definitely a different way of thinking, thanks, lol.

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have 3 SR1911's - 1 Commander, 1LW Commander and 1 standard size 1911. I have the same trouble with my LW that tends to shoot high. I have tried to measure the sight height on all three pistols however you cannot determine the depth correctly on the front sight. I called and talked to Ruger and all I was told that the only sights they have are on production weapons they are currently making. I ordered a front sight from Brownells however they only have 1 size of front site. While I am thinking of putting Tritriton sights on, I noticed that the Commander series calls for a higher height than the full size. Ruger told me, and my memory isn't the best but I thought I was told that on the Commander they were about .029 however the sights I got from Brownells measure about .036 in height. My final thought is to put on night sights and use the big round white circle for the front. I also tried to talk to Novak with very little luck. It's as if everything is a secret. If you are shooting low, you can dremell the sights down to where you want them, however for shooting high, you need a taller sight. My next move is to contact Trititon about their sights and see what they have to offer as far as heights go, however you can go to their site and they will recommend the different size sights that they have. I know this isn't much help but I have been fighting this for about 6 months myself with little satisfaction. If you change out the front sight, you will have to change out the rear also as there are different heights involved there also. Price is about $130.00. Sounds high however my LW is my EDC.

Tommy

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  10. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I was checking into a front sight for my LCR and one review on a certain sight said it will cause 5" low shooting at 15'. I might have to aim at a big nothing above the target to hit the target? I don't even want a sight that would be that far off. It is disappointing to spend money then find out afterward it wouldn't provide the results you wanted.

11. phideaux

12. hodge

hodge New Member

No offense to the Ruger forum, but why not join a 1911 forum? I bet the secrets are less secret, there.

13. phideaux

What secrets.....?

Jim

14. hodge

hodge New Member

Not in reference to this forum, but Tommy's comment-
    "It's as if everything is a secret"
    Substantiated by the emailed requests and no responses.

15. phideaux

Gotcha...your talking about his reference to Novak sights...

Jim

16. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the R/T !!

17. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Welcome to the forum!

18. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I just changed out the front sight on my LW Commander and it shoots dead on @30 feet. You can order sights from Brownells for about $6.00 plus freight. Some things to consider.

1. At what range are you shooting at and are you using a proper grip?
    Sounds silly but without a proper grip it can affect your accuracy.

2. What bullet are you using?
    Heavier bullets will fly higher than a 185SWC over a 230grn RN. Try to use some factory loads @ a specific distance and use the supported position. If you have or can borrow a bag rest, use it and fire 5 rounds, move it back another 5 feet and see if the height changes. Keep doing this until you are at your desired shooting distance. I would start @15 feet and move using 5 foot increments until you are out to 40 feet. See how much the height changes whether it be high or low.

3. Use Dawson's website that Jim gave you to measure your height and how much you can change it. It is hard to measure the height of the site BUT it will give you an indicator of where you need to go as far as sight changes. Fusion sights have different sight heights they recommend BUT they are NOT Novak sights, they are knock offs. The show a higher sight for the Commander over the full size.

4. If you are shooting low, and after your measurements, you can use a dremell or a file to very gradually lower the front sight. After quite a few months I finally got mine worked out but it can be a pain in trying to figure out how to get it to shoot @POA, of which I assume to are trying to achieve.

5. Remember if you are shooting low, then LOWER your front sight! If it gets too low then you will have to change out your rear sights and that's is where the expense really adds up. If all else fails, write down everything you did, completely document everything you done, and then call Ruger CS and give them all the facts. Ask for a technician and give a complete explanation of what is happening and what you have done or what you are doing.

6. Finally- make sure you are using the front sight when you shoot!!! When aiming, the front sight should be clear, rear sight will be a little blurry and your target will be blurry. Concentrate on using the front sight consistently when you are firing. So many people try to make sure the front and rear sight are clear when they shoot. This is not the correct way. Where ever you put that front sight is where your bullet will land. So many people think that they have to have a clear sight picture on the front and rear and wonder why they are not hitting at POA.

I hope this will help you clarify your problem. I worked diligently for 4-5 months on mine to get it correct. Part of it was me and part of it was the sight. That little white dot on Ruger sights are hard to see with these old eyes of mine, but I now have complete confidence on where my bullet is going to land.

Good luck!!!!

Tommy

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  19. Black7Series

Black7Series New Member

Thanks for the detailed reply tommy. I ordered the sights I really wanted with a taller front sight than my current. (Truglo TFO)

I'll wait until they're on to do any work testing. No point in modifying old sights.

I have a feeling it was partially my trigger control which had me shooting to the left, but the sights themselves causing it to be low.

As soon as they arrive and I find a place to install them, ill put it on a bag and see how it goes.