SR1911 6739 10mm problems with hotter loads?

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by dick19114u, Mar 11, 2018.

1. dick19114u

dick19114u New Member

I'm considering getting a model 6739 SR1911 in 10mm, however, I was checking reviews on youtube and they have numerous videos displaying new 6739 owners shooting the pistol. Some with just the lone 6739, and some alongside other 10mm pistols, like the Glock. In general, most people really liked the pistol. There were several videos though, that displayed jamming regarding shooting hotter loads from popular handgun manufacturers in the Ruger quite regularly. They then took the same loads in the other pistols and had no problems. That is quite problematic to me and may be a show stopper. Anyone have any inputs?

I recently purchased the 9mm model 6759 SR1911 and love it.
    dick19114u

2. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I watched the review by Hickock45, he had no problem with hot loads. Said had less felt recoil than the Glock. He used the hot Federal loading.

joeb1 likes this.

3. dick19114u

dick19114u New Member

Hi "Oldhand",
    Yes, he did say that he felt less recoil from the ruger, however, you may want to revisit the video and peruse it again.
    On three separate occasions, the gun had slide lock back/jam issues, that are displayed on the video. Additionally, on six separate occasions he specifically makes mention, the problems he's had with the Federal American Eagle Trophy Bonded ammo. He also mentions that maybe the pistol needs a different main spring, or possibly more "break-in" time. He actually concludes the video with this discussion.
    Dang, for the life of me, I'm having a hard time finding the originator of the second video, where the author also states that he had some jams with the hotter load 10mm ammo. I don't recall what brand the ammo was. I'm still trying to find it.
    Regards

4. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

There have been other Ruger 1911s that he had problems until he had very three hundred rounds through them. Once he had that amount thru them he had n further problem. When would you expect the 10 mil to be any different. My RIA was the same, I am not aware of any firearm I bought new that didn't need a break in of at least 300 rounds.

5. dick19114u

dick19114u New Member

Thanx for the reply and information. I've never had such a problem with my two Walthers(one 9mm and one 40 cal pistols of this nature) however, this is my first venture into the land of the 1911. I recently purchased the 9mm SR1911 model 6759 and am extremely happy with it so far. That's why I was concerned about a possible future purchase of the 10mm model. Thanx again for your reply

6. joeb1

joeb1 New Member

My baby. Love it.
    Wondering if I can put 40 caliber rounds through it without any problems???
    Has anyone shot 40's in their 10?
    Shaky hands Old Geezer rapid fire at 7 yards.[​IMG][​IMG]

7. mriffey22

mriffey22 Member

Great looking pistol!

joeb1 and Joe Benedetto like this.