SR-9 external safety removal

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by RugerSR9Lover, Sep 7, 2016.

1. RugerSR9Lover

RugerSR9Lover New Member

I just finished removing the external safety, but not sure how to finish out the frame. For any of you who've also done this, what did you use to plug the two holes in the frame?

My best idea so far is to fill them using either a urethane casting compound or JB Weld tinted with black pigment.

2. RugerSR9Lover

RugerSR9Lover New Member

I mixed JB weld with a bit of Fiebings Pro black dye. The epoxy set up well despite the dye and resulted in a color and texture indistinguishable from the rest of the frame! My only reservation has to do with the rigidity of the epoxy. I'm thinking that the plug may crack or pop out if the frame flexes at all during a cycle.

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

We do a lot with pictures around here, ;):)

Would like to see how it turned out.

Jim

4. RugerSR9Lover

RugerSR9Lover New Member

Nothing to show yet. I just mixed a test batch to verify color and ability to set with dye added. I'll start work on the actual frame tomorrow and post pictures accordingly.

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Is the safety removal for cosmetic reasons, or...?

I ask because I have an SR40c, and have found it pretty easy to ignore the thumb safety when I want to.

For reference, here is Ruger's illustration:

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr9/models.html

6. RugerSR9Lover

RugerSR9Lover New Member

The removal of the actual safety is not for aesthetic purposes, although it may have that effect as well if you like cleaner frame lines.

However, the plugging of the leftover frame holes is mostly an aesthetic undertaking. I suppose an argument could be made that they allow dust to enter the frame, but that's negligible to the point of irrelevance.

7. RugerSR9Lover

RugerSR9Lover New Member

Just to be 100% clear for anyone seeking information in the future, the safety consists of three parts. You can actually remove the safety, which can't be seen with the pistol assembled, while leaving both frame tabs intact. Obviously, they would be useless at that point and simply to keep a stock appearance.

8. RugerSR9Lover

RugerSR9Lover New Member

The shape is perfectly formed and structurally sound. I still need to do a bit of sanding and buffing, but it's looking great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. RugerSR9Lover

RugerSR9Lover New Member

I'm 99% done. I ran into a dilemma with the dyed JB Weld. The color is perfect, but the texture isn't quite right, even after sanding/buffing. The JB Weld is very porous once you break through the cured "skin", so I'm filling with black dyed acrylic. Then I'll smooth with 800 grit, and buff out with 2000. Pics to come.

10. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Gotta say I'm impressed. Keep up the good work!

11. RugerSR9Lover

RugerSR9Lover New Member

Thanks. I just finished with the frame work, including extending the rail and moving the TLR-1 back 8mm. That light sitting forward has bugged me for a while!
    [​IMG]