SR-22 or Mark III 22-45

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by riderskate, Oct 9, 2013.

1. riderskate

riderskate New Member

I'm thinking about getting a 22 to shoot a lot of rounds through. I really like both guns but can only afford 1. I see that both guns get great reviews and I'm just looking for some opinions.

Thanks in advance.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I myself would get the MkIII 22-45.

The ergonomics and the style appeal to me...

3. jimc

jimc New Member

I have both. The SR is great to carry for plinking etc. The 22-45 is better for precision shooting. If you shoot a lot at the range, go with the 22-45. There are way more accessories for loading magazines as well as goodies for match shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the Ruger Talk Forum jimc !!

5. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I just got the SR 22, fun, fun ,

I got the MarkIII Hunter SS Fluted barrel, target grips, on order for more precision shooting.

Welcome to Rugertalk jimc, hope you stop over at Introductions, and tell us a little about yourself.
    Sounds like your at home here.

Jim

6. riderskate

riderskate New Member

Thanks for all the input. I will eventually get both, but right now I only can swing one. I think I'm going to get the SR22. I think it will go good in the bag with the 10/22 take down for when camping and hiking. Nice to do a little plinking in the woods.

7. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

They are both very nice guns, but it is really going to boil down to what you expect out of a handgun.
    I like the compact size of the SR, but for me the accuracy of the 22/45 makes it my personal choice.

8. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

Like many have said, 2 different styles of guns. The MkIII 22/45 is a lot of fun and has ability to mount Red Dots and scopes for more accurate target shooting at greater distance.

SR22 is a fun plinker that's easy to carry and fits anywhere.

To me the MkIII is just a lot of fun at the range or out where you can shoot farther targets and what I'd pick if I could only get one.

9. Modeler

Modeler New Member

I just got a 22/45 and I love it. SR22 was just a little small for me, and I already have a P22 (which is a very similar gun).

10. DonnieD

DonnieD New Member

As several have said, if it's to be primarily a range gun, get the MKIII. The SR22, however, is a much better gun if you want to replicate shooting a typical compact defensive pistol such as say a Ruger SR9C.

There, the SR22 is far superior to the MKIII.

Both are excellent guns, I have the SR22 and a .22/45, really like both. Don

11. gatekeeper

gatekeeper New Member

22/45 would be the best choice, in my opinion, better trigger.

Ruger firearms
    SR1911 & CMD
    LCR 357, 22LR
    MKIII22/45 LITE

12. riderskate

riderskate New Member

Thank you all for the responses. I'll be picking up a Mark II 22/45 bull barrel tomorrow. Making a trade for it which will allow me to use my cash I had put aside to purchase a new sr22. Looks like a win win for me. :)

13. riderskate

riderskate New Member

Correction, it is a Mark III 22/45 target model.