Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a 22 to shoot a lot of rounds through. I really like both guns but can only afford 1. I see that both guns get great reviews and I'm just looking for some opinions.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have both. The SR is great to carry for plinking etc. The 22-45 is better for precision shooting. If you shoot a lot at the range, go with the 22-45. There are way more accessories for loading magazines as well as goodies for match shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I just got the SR 22, fun, fun ,

I got the MarkIII Hunter SS Fluted barrel, target grips, on order for more precision shooting.

Welcome to Rugertalk jimc, hope you stop over at Introductions, and tell us a little about yourself.
Sounds like your at home here.

Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. I will eventually get both, but right now I only can swing one. I think I'm going to get the SR22. I think it will go good in the bag with the 10/22 take down for when camping and hiking. Nice to do a little plinking in the woods.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
They are both very nice guns, but it is really going to boil down to what you expect out of a handgun.
I like the compact size of the SR, but for me the accuracy of the 22/45 makes it my personal choice.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Like many have said, 2 different styles of guns. The MkIII 22/45 is a lot of fun and has ability to mount Red Dots and scopes for more accurate target shooting at greater distance.

SR22 is a fun plinker that's easy to carry and fits anywhere.

To me the MkIII is just a lot of fun at the range or out where you can shoot farther targets and what I'd pick if I could only get one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just got a 22/45 and I love it. SR22 was just a little small for me, and I already have a P22 (which is a very similar gun).

·
Registered
51 Posts
As several have said, if it's to be primarily a range gun, get the MKIII. The SR22, however, is a much better gun if you want to replicate shooting a typical compact defensive pistol such as say a Ruger SR9C.

There, the SR22 is far superior to the MKIII.

Both are excellent guns, I have the SR22 and a .22/45, really like both. Don

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the responses. I'll be picking up a Mark II 22/45 bull barrel tomorrow. Making a trade for it which will allow me to use my cash I had put aside to purchase a new sr22. Looks like a win win for me. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts