SR 22 feeding problem

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by louchia, May 10, 2014.

1. louchia

louchia Member

With some ammo I have some FTF. Taking a close look inside while slowly pulling back the slide, I find that the nose of the next round does not always fully pop up into position. As the slide goes forward, that rnd may jamb into the bottom of the feed ramp.
    Checking the mag, I find that occasionally all the rnds line up in such a way that the top rnd is not fully seated to the top. Operating the mag assist button very slowly upward would show this. True, a slight tap and all was fine.
    Some one suggested to me to remove the follower form the mag and change the angle at the top by taking a very small amount(1/32 in ) off the heal and nothing at the nose and. This slight angle change causes the nose of the rnd to fully spring to the top. There by more directly entering the chamber.
    It seems to have worked for me. Federal bulk and Amer. Eagle now runs much better. CCI was never a problem.
    Might be worth a try.

2. Redleg

Redleg New Member

With the SR22 sometimes problems in feeding are caused by something as simple as being sloppy loading the rounds into the magazine. You have to be kind of careful dropping the rounds in; sometimes they get out of position. Not saying you are doing this, but at least verify that you are not. Good luck.

3. louchia

louchia Member

You are absolutely correct. I have found that if you load the mag in a hurry and pull the assist button too far ahead, the rim of the later round can be to the rear of the previous round. This in turn will cause FTFeed.
    Also it's a good idea to tap the mag after loading so that the rnds are fully to the rear.

4. Kattner

Kattner New Member

It's funny, I must of heard several different ways to correct this problem. It would be nice if Ruger just came out and said Oops, here's the solution.

5. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Welcome to the forum!
    We encourage all new members to jump on over to the introduction section and give everyone a chance to welcome you properly and us to get to know you. :)
    Thanks and enjoy this great forum!

6. Floorist

Floorist Old Timer

The rounds have a sloppy fit into the mag. not like my S&W.

7. mark

mark Member

I have a sr22, and a 22/45 Lite, and neither liked Remington golden bullets . The nose catches the bottom of the ramp. Somebody from Ruger said don't use Remington. After running a couple of thousand rounds through them of other brands there was a big improvement. I think it took awhile to smooth up the lips on the mag.