Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I just bought a used Ruger sr 1911 and I'm new to Ruger and the 1911 how do you tell which model I have? It's a full size . I've seen people talk about the commander , lite weight commander. Any help would be good

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
midnighter,
I moved your FIRST post to Introductions, so you can get a proper welcome.
Maybe you would tell us a little about yourself.

Thanks for joining RT.

Jim

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Midnighter,
The full size SR1911 has a 6" barrel. The commander has a 4 1/2" barrel and so does the LW commander. However the LW commander is steel slide assy and the bottom half is made out of aluminum and about 8 ounces lighter. The bottom part of the LW Commander is also black whereas the Commander and full size is totally stainless.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Midnighter,
The full size SR1911 has a 6" barrel. The commander has a 4 1/2" barrel and so does the LW commander. However the LW commander is steel slide assy and the bottom half is made out of aluminum and about 8 ounces lighter. The bottom part of the LW Commander is also black whereas the Commander and full size is totally stainless.

Tommy

Barrels are 5" on the full size, 4 1/4" on the Commanders.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Welcome from Texas!
Can't help you with your 1911 question, but looks like you got what you needed already anyway.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Welcome!
I like all 6 models of the SR1911 (got to include the TALO versions), and when I started to search, I had honed in on the full stainless Commander- I like all stainless, but I don't like a 5" barrel.
What also drove that initial search was the fact that the full stainless costs a little less than the Lightweight. But, when I went to my LGS and held both, I really preferred the Lightweight. I have no problem with an alloy frame, and my LGS gave me a great price, so I got the Lightweight Commander. I have absolutely no regrets! It is a fine pistol, one to be proud of, and I am accurate with it. My youngest daughter loves it, too! She wants to claim it as hers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome from Texas--be careful on the RECOIL SPRING STOPPER!!! It will fly away to never, never land. I was a little embarrassed to call Ruger for my brand new Ruger SR 1911 that my son gave me for my upcoming birthday but the super nice lady, Angie, told me it happens more than we think and that she would drop me one in the mail today" NO CHARGE" and thanked me for being a Ruger customer. Doesn't get any better than that!! Ruger customer forever!!!

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Welcome to Ruger Talk!

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Welcome to RT and there are quite a few Ruger 1911 owners here to answer your questions. We will be looking forward to your review of your gun on the range.

·
BigDogJames
25 Posts
I first purchased the 5" stainless model, then Ruger came out with their 4.25 inch stainless CMD. Just had to have one. Just a couple of weeks ago, my LGS had the Lightweight CMD on sale, and it came home with me. Next, I would like to add a lightweight Nightwacthman to the small collection. I really like all the Ruger SR1911s, and their GP100s also. Good luck with yours but beware, they are addictive.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I first purchased the 5" stainless model, then Ruger came out with their 4.25 inch stainless CMD. Just had to have one. Just a couple of weeks ago, my LGS had the Lightweight CMD on sale, and it came home with me. Next, I would like to add a lightweight Nightwacthman to the small collection. I really like all the Ruger SR1911s, and their GP100s also. Good luck with yours but beware, they are addictive.
Have you held the LWC in 9MM? Start saving up!

·
BigDogJames
25 Posts
Without trying to P in anyone's Wheaties. I'll pass on a 9mm 1911. Just not my cup of tea. I'm kinda an old fart set in my ways, you know the kind that think all 1911s , should be .45 or maybe, just maybe 10mm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts