SR 1911 issue

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Grizz1226, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Grizz1226

Grizz1226 New Member

Having trouble with all types of ammo cycling. I have a 1911 in 45acp. Have tried different manufacturers, reloads, home defense rounds. Have tried 3 different magazine mfg. I'm guessing feed ramp issue. Should I contact Ruger and send in?

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Call Ruger and see what they say to do. I am guessing if you are having same problem with different ammo and magazines that Ruger will provide you with means to send it back to them.
    Being new to this forum you would get off to a better start by going to introduction thread and telling members here a little about yourself. This is a friendly bunch here and you will get off to a better start by introducing yourself.
    Welcome to RT.

3. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Give Ruger CS a call and see what they say.

Welcome to RugerTalk btw :welcome:

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

First of all is it a Ruger SR1911 .45cal? Regular 1911's can have feed ramp problems especially the old WWII versions. They were made to just shoot 230grn hard ball. If it is a Ruger you COULD have feed ramp problems but it's a little doubtful as the feed ramp is made from titanium and will digest about everything you can throw at it. Second problem you can run into is the magazines. Even Ruger will have problems with magazines so you might try Chip McCormicks or Wilson Combat. The springs on Ruger's SR1911 are extremely tight to begin with. You said you tried some reloads. Can you size the length of the reloads (COAL) and go from there. I reload all of my .45's at 1.250-1.255 (Max COAL 1.273) and have never had any problems. As far as self defense rounds, I am sure you are talking about hollow points which will have a tendency to be shorter, and the same if you are trying to shoot wad/semi wad cutters. However they should still feed. One more thing, and this may sound silly BUT I have seen this happen: some people who load their magazines do NOT get the bullet completely into the magazine which is typical for a new magazine. The head assy has to snap all the way back into the mag and I have seen people at our range who have failed to do that. If that happens, the shell will not be accepted into the chamber as it will catch the top of the feed ramp. I have 4 Ruger SR1911's and never had a feed problem, but not saying it can't happen. I would call customer service in Prescott and talk to a field tech and ask them if they can figure out you dilemma. Presently you really haven't given much information on your problem and it's hard to ascertain what is wrong.

BTW-welcome to the forum and thanks for joining.

Tommy from the land of eternal heat-Az

P.S. I have an old Colt .45 mag from WWII and it still functions great and I use it when I am practicing double taps and changing mags.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  5. Grizz1226

Grizz1226 New Member

6. Grizz1226

Grizz1226 New Member

Thank you... Yes it is a SR1911, Chip mags and Ruger mags. Store bought reloads, plus new FMJ ammo. Am going to call Ruger tomorrow.