Springs to go back to stock

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by elgineddie, Dec 10, 2015.

1. elgineddie

elgineddie New Member

Howdy friends,
    New member on this forum but have been shooting Rugers for years.
    I come today with a spring question. I picked up a used 1995 Vaquero 4-5/8" .45 Colt with some spring work done to it at some point in its life. I'd like to go back to the stock weights. I measured the trigger pull and she's at 2lbs... too lite for me. Also, not sure if the hammer spring was changed either. Visually hard to tell. So my question is: I'm not sure which springs were changed. Do they make standard springs or perhaps "standard weight but better quality" springs aftermarket? I don't mind a heavier spring as long as their break point is consistent.

Anything you can share would be great!

2. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Hit shopruger.com and look for the springs to match your model- they carried them the last time I was poking around in there just a month or so ago.....

3. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Probably all of the aftermarket springs will be lighter than stock. The standard Ruger springs are of high quality.
    To get a 2# trigger pull they likely changed the hammer spring along with the trigger return spring. Ruger should be able to fix you up with both.

4. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

Welcome to the forum, and agreed just call Ruger CS and they will be able to point you in the right way.

5. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Replace all the springs to be sure. They aren't that expensive and you will be guaranteed to get what you want for the trigger. I would look at a Wolff kit which often provides multiple weights so you can select your favorite.

The first time you replace the springs it takes about 30 minutes. By the third time it should take less than 2.

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to RugerTalk Eddie,

I moved your first post to Introductions

Thanks for joining.

I lived in Algonquin for about 15 years..

Jim

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  7. elgineddie

elgineddie New Member

Thanks for the welcomes and for the info! I will look into ordering the springs. For the low cost that springs go for, and for the experience gained in installing them, it will be a good exercise for me.

I also noticed wear on the left side of the hammer and when I searched on that I discovered it's somewhat common and can be remedied with 2-3 .005" shims.

Thanks again...

8. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

Welcome, eddie

To get to 2# , a lot more was done than spring change.

Someone took a stone or file to the single action sear close to or to the point of being unsafe.

If you want to take it back closer to stock, I would get a replacement hammer too. That might even be enough to get it to where you want without the added spring expense.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/247080.htm

You will need to use your pins,plunger, etc, .

Doc

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  9. jmohme

jmohme Well-Known Member

Welcome from Texas!

10. elgineddie

elgineddie New Member

Hmmm good point. On my pull scale it was breaking just below 2lbs. I ordered and installed Wolff 40oz trigger and 19lb hammer springs. The 40oz trigger spring brought the pull to an average break between 2.75 & 3lbs. I'm sure the new spring will calm down to 2.5 or so at some point.
    I'm happy... for now! ;-)

-Ed

11. smokier

smokier New Member

Welcome from Eastern Iowa!
    Be Safe,
    Smokier