SP101 vs GP100 vs Redhawk

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by greg_r, May 15, 2017.

1. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Took my next batch of handguns to the consignment shop. When they sell I will use the funds in my quest to replace my existing firearms with Ruger firearms.

The next purchase will be a 357 Magnum. No particular reason for it. I already have my carry gun,and kit gun. This one will be a BBQ gun if you will.

Ideally it will be stainless steel and have a 3 inch barrel.

Do I get the SP 101? I really like the lines and the way it feels.

Then the GP100. This is my idea of what a 357 should be.

Or bite the bullet and get the 8 Shot Redhawk. It gives up 1/4 inch of barrel but makes up for it with the extra holes in the cylinder.

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I own a 4" GP100 and Redhawk. Haven't even seen an SP101 in the 'flesh'. If you are going for the lean, Karate Kid look, that's the SP101. Following that representation model, the Redhawk is Man Mountain Dean and the GP100 is Arnold.

Glad to be of service.

:D

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have the S&W 627-5 357 and it has the 8 hole cylinder. Those extra 2 rounds is nice to have. But then the 627 being an N frame is quite big. If run out of rounds it can always be used as a club.

I had an SP101 in 327 magnum and the gun was a brute shooting 327 magnum rounds. I can imagine one shooting 357 mag would be even more of a brute for recoil. I would go for the GP100 for the added weight better handling of recoil. For a BBQ I would get the GP 100 with adjustable sight as it is a very fine looking gun for BBQ. I would replace the rubber grips with wood grips and do a trigger job on it. Then you might as well buy a Match Champion for $750. The Redhawk is $800-$900 and IMO not near as attractive looking but its 8 round cylinder is an attention grabber.

Since I have started shooting 44 spl I really have lost a lot of interest in the 357. The 44 is now my main carry. LOL My Bulldog isn't a BBQ show off piece though. The GP100 Match Champion was a good looking BBQ gun.

Actually what others like or dislike doesn't mean squat because of to each his/her own likes or dislikes. It's your hand feel and your eyes beholding beauty that really matters.

4. JohnR

JohnR New Member

If it's just for show, I'd spring for a S&W.

But if you want to drool over 3" Rugers, here ya go. The 3" SP is a really handy revolver. The size and weight difference between the 101 and GP is greater than it looks.

[​IMG]

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

The sp101 kicks. Hard. (Using standard .357 ammo) this is the 4.2" though. I've never shot the 3"

6. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I agree with you 100% and i can honestly say that I will most likely end up with the GP100, and do the wood grips like you mentioned. I like the adjustable sights, but the 3 inch version only has fixed. That works too though.

The other 2 I like, but in reality, I carry the LCRX when I'm in a revolver carrying mood, and if I decided on the Redhawk, it would most likely be the 44 version that's just like the 357.

7. JohnR

JohnR New Member

The 2" and 3" kick hard with .357 too. Cushier grips help, but it's still brutal. It's just nice to know I can use .357 if I have to. I use .38 in my 101s.

8. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

I own an SP101 and it's okay with .357 loads, but is magic shooting .38 spl. I would recommend lighter springs which is a 45 minute job on a new gun the first time and 5 minutes for each one after the process is learned. I CCW the SP101 occasionally.

A GP would make a better range pistol because of the added weight although the SP101 is no poly.

Now if I was going for a Red Hawk I would get a 4" barrel, not a 3".

The GP is in the middle of the other 2, but if I was walking in the woods I would take the Red Hawk and a rifle.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      47 KB
      Views: