SP101 Trigger Catching

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by Longcarbine, May 19, 2017.

1. Longcarbine

Longcarbine New Member

What would cause the trigger on my SP101 to hang up on the return.

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Hmmmm. First off, has your gun been thoroughly cleaned?
    Does the trigger fail to return or just hang up? Also, what type of ammunition are you using?

BTW, welcome to the forum!

:welcome:

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum and you might go to introduction thread to introduce yourself to the members.
    Like Savage said the gun could be gunked up and need a good cleaning.

4. Longcarbine

Longcarbine New Member

Thanks for the welcome. The gun is new and unfired, I have installed a reduce strength hammer spring, hammer shims and trigger shims but the trigger was hanging up before these were added. It occasionally hangs up completely but not always.

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Hmm. Maybe give ruger a call and get their opinion on it. Fortunately, Ruger does have some of the best customer service in game.

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Yeah, probably a job for Ruger.

[Note: if your mods were not made with Ruger parts, you will need to restore the originals before sending the gun to Ruger - otherwise you're apt to lose the mods.]

7. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

It's a heavy pull stock. I have taken mine apart a few times and changed all of the springs. Did you have a chance to test it before you purchased? Was it purchased new? Sounds like it was not assembled correctly.

8. buster40c

Before sending back to Ruger you should put original parts back in it. Ruger will not mess with after market parts in guns for repair or warranty.

9. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

How about the trigger return spring?

10. buster40c

I would agree with gregr that the trigger return spring is where the problem lies. It could be gunked up from the factory. Since he shimmed the trigger it shouldn't be catching unless the shimming was to tight. But like he said it was bad before he changed the spring. I would inspect the trigger for drag markings from rubbing metal to metal.

11. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

If it is brand new and was originally unmolested how did it pass QC?

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

If the problem is intermittent, it can easily sneak by QC. 'Intermittency' is the devil in the QC process.

13. RedSoxRugers

RedSoxRugers Member

Mine (KLCR .357) is back from Ruger.]]

They replaced a few parts.

Runs fine now.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  14. billrugerb

billrugerb New Member

When I first shimmed my sp101 357, one of the hammer shims slipped out of place and caused a glitch but was ok when I replaced the shim.