Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would cause the trigger on my SP101 to hang up on the return.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Hmmmm. First off, has your gun been thoroughly cleaned?
Does the trigger fail to return or just hang up? Also, what type of ammunition are you using?

BTW, welcome to the forum!

:welcome:

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Welcome to the forum and you might go to introduction thread to introduce yourself to the members.
Like Savage said the gun could be gunked up and need a good cleaning.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome. The gun is new and unfired, I have installed a reduce strength hammer spring, hammer shims and trigger shims but the trigger was hanging up before these were added. It occasionally hangs up completely but not always.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. The gun is new and unfired, I have installed a reduce strength hammer spring, hammer shims and trigger shims but the trigger was hanging up before these were added. It occasionally hangs up completely but not always.

Hmm. Maybe give ruger a call and get their opinion on it. Fortunately, Ruger does have some of the best customer service in game.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Hmm. Maybe give ruger a call and get their opinion on it. Fortunately, Ruger does have some of the best customer service in game.
Yeah, probably a job for Ruger.

[Note: if your mods were not made with Ruger parts, you will need to restore the originals before sending the gun to Ruger - otherwise you're apt to lose the mods.]

·
Registered
502 Posts
It's a heavy pull stock. I have taken mine apart a few times and changed all of the springs. Did you have a chance to test it before you purchased? Was it purchased new? Sounds like it was not assembled correctly.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Before sending back to Ruger you should put original parts back in it. Ruger will not mess with after market parts in guns for repair or warranty.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I would agree with gregr that the trigger return spring is where the problem lies. It could be gunked up from the factory. Since he shimmed the trigger it shouldn't be catching unless the shimming was to tight. But like he said it was bad before he changed the spring. I would inspect the trigger for drag markings from rubbing metal to metal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I first shimmed my sp101 357, one of the hammer shims slipped out of place and caused a glitch but was ok when I replaced the shim.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts