SP101 Front Sight

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by tybomber7, Aug 28, 2014.

1. tybomber7

tybomber7 New Member

Hi all,

I'm considering a replacement front sight for my SP101. Is there a particular brand you would recommend over another? Trijicon, XS sights, HiViz, Gemini, etc? Also, does the installation of all new front sights require drilling? Or is it a simple tap and replace like the front sight of the LCR? Thank you very much.

2. Mazz

Mazz New Member

I put a HiViz on mine. Drilling required.

3. colin1230

colin1230 New Member

I put finger nail polish on mine. Orange, called 'Hot Tamale'. :)

4. tybomber7

tybomber7 New Member

Mazz,

Thanks for the information on the drilling situation.

Colin,

Haha that is not too shabby. I have been considering just painting the front ramp with some red nail polish and calling it a day.

5. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

I installed the HiViz on mine.....awesome sight. I also put HiViz sights on my other wheel guns too....

Attached Files:

6. colin1230

colin1230 New Member

Tybomber7,
    The fingernail polish route is a cheap way to make a huge improvement. Hot Tamale and another called Traffic Cone are very close to the color S&W uses for their orange inserts. If you don't like it, nothing a little nail polish remover don't cure. I'm not trying to talk you out of a new set of sights, to each his own. Also, if you shoot indoors fiber optic sights may not be the best choice. It takes sun light to make them realy shine. YMMV.

7. luvmyrugers

luvmyrugers New Member

Red neck girl sight modification

Hate stock ramp front sights on revolvers, but also hate to leave a gun with a gunsmith for days or weeks for a simple front sight replacement.

So here is my solution, have a Ruger LCR .38 and a recently purchased SP101 .357 2.25" barrel. Year's ago had XS standard white dot sight installed on the LCR. Really like it and does make for better aiming.

Looked at my new SP revolver and noted both revolvers have very similar sight set up. Rather than pay for another XS sight, I just took white finger nail polish and applied to front sight as a dot, doing 3 coats with drying time between each coat and then took a black marker to fill in the rear sight for contrast. What a difference, now have a very good sight picture. As I've gotten older, eye sight is not as sharp but doing this very inexpensive "fix" has improved accuracy appreciably. A black & white combination is more natural. It's why most printed documents are black on white.

8. sigman84

sigman84 New Member

I like the ideas. Question though. What happens if the target is the same color as front sight?.

9. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I put the Meprolight front sight on my SP101 3" and I am happy with the outcome. Had my Smith do it though. POA is right where I wanted it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My review on Amazon. ("Helpful" clicks appreciated! Let Amazon know that we are reading reviews of gun products!) http://www.amazon.com/review/R2W8ANBU7G105I/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm