SP101 ejector rod very loose. Is that normal?

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by spurgon, Oct 5, 2017.

1. spurgon

spurgon New Member

I looked at a used SP101 3" .357 today. Lockup was very tight and timing was very good. When I swung out the cylinder the ejector rod operated well but I could take it by the end and wiggle it allot where it is jointed at the front of the cylinder. Is this normal?

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I was just watching a video about cleaning a revolver and the video showed to check if the ejector rod was screwed tight into the ejector plate. He showed hold the ejector rod in a vise so as not to damage it then with a towel turn the ejector plate till it is tight on the rod. I don't know if this will work with an SP101 but you could check into it. You might check if your ejector rod is tight into the ejector plate.
    You might not go by an armchair crackednition and call Ruger about it. I wouldn't want you really messing up the gun by taking advice that might not be good for the gun or you.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

3. spurgon

spurgon New Member

I looked at a new sp101 at the LGS and the ejector rod was very similar to the
    used sp101. It just wasn't as extreme. I've never seen an ejector rod joined in the middle before. This 3" barrel sure makes this revolver balance nicely.

4. buster40c

Hopefully some here that have an SP101 will chime in about it.

5. zippo9

zippo9 Member

Just checked all three of mine. They are all screwed together tightly and the rod wiggles. THey all function like they should.

6. buster40c

Well I guess you got your answer. It seems to be normal to wiggle.