Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SP101 22 that I purchased new awhile back. Started out with reasonable trigger; not too stiff but smooth. I guess I have run it through about 500 rounds. I put some hammer shims in it to remove any wiggle. That's supposed to smooth out the trigger. I didn't like the feel so I removed them. Now I am experiencing a bit of roughness on the first part of the trigger pull. The only way I can describe it: the first part of the trigger pull rotates the cylinder and then it moves to a second level. Pulling the trigger through the second level results in trigger release. Which is all ok, it's just sometimes the first level feels gritty. Any one else experience this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I changed both springs in mine and polished up everything with metal paste. The pistol shoots like a velvet pillow.
I think that's what I am going to do. I got new springs, not sure which, ones I used; I have that written down. I have metal paste and kept recorded what I previously did. So I just have to suck it up and take the time to do it right. I used the instructions from Lance, the trigger guy, web site. They are good instructions. I just need to apply some elbow grease, with patience.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Good little pistolas. Always wanted one. Guess I will have to live with my old & heavy Speed Six. Well, it is alot easer to control than my LCR. One of these days, I will get an SP101.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really like the SP101s. I got a 357 Snubby to carry, a 357 longer barrel one for the range and a long barrel 22lr for shooting at the range. The nice thing is that all 3 have basically the same physical characteristics so trigger control practice carries over from one to the other. I can practice with the 22 much cheaper and the practice helps with the 357s. I guess I'm a walking add for Ruger. :). I have a LCP 380 when I need something to carry light.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I really like the SP101s. I got a 357 Snubby to carry, a 357 longer barrel one for the range and a long barrel 22lr for shooting at the range. The nice thing is that all 3 have basically the same physical characteristics so trigger control practice carries over from one to the other. I can practice with the 22 much cheaper and the practice helps with the 357s. I guess I'm a walking add for Ruger. :). I have a LCP 380 when I need something to carry light.
Did you have to modify the spring on your 22? I got that for my wife, she loves it but the hammer spring was impossible. We sent it in to Ruger and they did a trigger job on it, it is a lot easier to shoot now.
Now the only thing I don't like about it is having to clean a 9 round cylinder, LOL!
Short barrel 101 in 357, it's like a flame thrower! I put a CT laser grip on it, the rubbery one, it helps but still keeps my wrist hurting for the remainder of the day.
Congrats on the Rugers, I think they are all great and very well priced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you have to modify the spring on your 22? I got that for my wife, she loves it but the hammer spring was impossible. We sent it in to Ruger and they did a trigger job on it, it is a lot easier to shoot now.
Now the only thing I don't like about it is having to clean a 9 round cylinder, LOL!
Short barrel 101 in 357, it's like a flame thrower! I put a CT laser grip on it, the rubbery one, it helps but still keeps my wrist hurting for the remainder of the day.
Congrats on the Rugers, I think they are all great and very well priced.

Hi, I put in a new trigger spring in and tried to put in hammer and trigger shims, but due to my lack of gun smithing skills, I decided to start over. I used the hammer spring replacement, but took out the shims. I planned to go ahead and polish up the proper surfaces, but find taking it to the range often is smoothing up the trigger action. I still have an occasional hard trigger pull. For me I think I would pay Ruger to do the work so I know it's done right. Lance Shively, trigger shim guy, has good parts and great instructions at his site.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts