Sp101 22lr Trigger grind

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by billrugerb, Mar 9, 2018.

1. billrugerb

billrugerb New Member

I have a SP101 22 that I purchased new awhile back. Started out with reasonable trigger; not too stiff but smooth. I guess I have run it through about 500 rounds. I put some hammer shims in it to remove any wiggle. That's supposed to smooth out the trigger. I didn't like the feel so I removed them. Now I am experiencing a bit of roughness on the first part of the trigger pull. The only way I can describe it: the first part of the trigger pull rotates the cylinder and then it moves to a second level. Pulling the trigger through the second level results in trigger release. Which is all ok, it's just sometimes the first level feels gritty. Any one else experience this?

2. nickndfl

nickndfl Member

I changed both springs in mine and polished up everything with metal paste. The pistol shoots like a velvet pillow.

billrugerb likes this.

3. billrugerb

billrugerb New Member

I think that's what I am going to do. I got new springs, not sure which, ones I used; I have that written down. I have metal paste and kept recorded what I previously did. So I just have to suck it up and take the time to do it right. I used the instructions from Lance, the trigger guy, web site. They are good instructions. I just need to apply some elbow grease, with patience.

4. nickndfl

nickndfl Member

I used the lightest Wolff springs, but don't remember their weight. Just order the appropriate kit.

5. billrugerb

billrugerb New Member

Thanks for the info. I'll be ordering a set of the proper springs and have another go at it.

6. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Active Member

Good little pistolas. Always wanted one. Guess I will have to live with my old & heavy Speed Six. Well, it is alot easer to control than my LCR. One of these days, I will get an SP101.

7. billrugerb

billrugerb New Member

I really like the SP101s. I got a 357 Snubby to carry, a 357 longer barrel one for the range and a long barrel 22lr for shooting at the range. The nice thing is that all 3 have basically the same physical characteristics so trigger control practice carries over from one to the other. I can practice with the 22 much cheaper and the practice helps with the 357s. I guess I'm a walking add for Ruger. :). I have a LCP 380 when I need something to carry light.

8. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

Me, too.