Some thoughts on safety

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Oldhand, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I keep reading complaints about the "Stupid" magazine safety. It was originally installed because law enforcement was having their guns taken away in scuffles and used on them. Dropping the magazine stopped this from happening. The cross draw holster got the nickname "widow maker", because law enforcement got the gun taken away in struggles and used on them. Some don't like small of the back holsters because someone can come up and remove it without you seeing them coming. Just some things to think about.:cool:

I put this under semi autos because the first item was about them.;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2016
  2. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

Thanks for this Oldhand,

I had wondered why they ever came about.

I just assumed it was another California BS safety.

It doesn't change my view on it at all. Except maybe for calling it idiotic. I might stop that, but I will remove it on any gun I have.

Unlike law enforcement, my guns are self defense only, rather than responding to a domestic violent dispute for example.

So for me, the importance of at least being able to get off one shot is much greater than the chance of getting into a struggle over the gun. A magazine or magazine release malfunction or error basically turns the gun into a club.

I will want to get that one shot off.

Thanks for the history on the MDS. It was interesting.

Doc

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

So a cop will drop the magazine if he gets in a scuffle with a BG?

As far as the back holster I have heard nothing positive about it. Someone can come from behind and take the gun or the person could fall backward jamming the gun into their spine causing harm to themselves.

Cross draw gets negative reviews also. Up close you might not be able to get to the gun because BG is blocking your access to the gun. I learned that in a training class when I was asked why I was carrying cross draw.

I never knew or even wondered the reasoning in the magazine safety. I guess I figured it was just another hair brained idea. The mag safety doesn't bother me. Maybe it should?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

The SR9c I had came with a magazine safety. I took it out early on, put it back in when I sold the gun.
    I've been told guns have em so you can leave the gun behind and take the magazine, making the gun safe.
    Then it can't be fired by a child or some idiot. It's beyond me as to why a guy would leave the gun behind.
    I think it's just a lawyer thing..... Safety First / CYA you know.

When hunting or just out running around in the woods with a long gun I like to carry cross draw.
    Sling the long gun over my right shoulder, Blackhawk to the left of my belly. Then they don't beat each other.
    I like to carry cross draw even when I'm not lugging a rifle around.
    But I agree, it ain't the thing to do in the city or around a crowd.

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Last week I went to a gun show in Mesa and the guy who built my holster was there (vendor) and we talked about a cross draw for my SR1911. I tried the cross draw holster had had made and found out that the butt of the pistol stuck out like a sore thumb. Reason I was thinking of cross draw was when driving down the road, with a regular holster, you have seat belts in the way. One of the guys here said to mount it on the column of my model A's which I did (sloppy job) but I will build something better in the future. On my 79 Lincoln I have it next to me between the bucket seats or under the seat in a holster. But I am also like Magnum (Jerry), I like to carry cross draw on my hip if I were carrying a rifle. But since I don't or can't really hunt anymore, I don't worry about it. Besides, which movie star do you see that carries a regular holster. They all have them hidden in their belt in their backs---more Hollywood drama!

Tommy

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  6. hodge

hodge New Member

I thought that it was primarily so that if you are dismantling the gun for cleaning, maintenance, etc., and forgot to clear the chamber, you wouldn't have a negligent discharge.

7. buster40c

I think Magnum and Hodge are probably both correct.

8. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

True, Buster

It is reason I said any gun owner with a lick of sense does not need it.

It should be hardwired indelibly into every gun owner to always, always, ALWAYS! clear a gun before cleaning, examining, etc or pointing a gun anywhere that you do not intend to kill/destroy.

Doc

9. buster40c

The thing is murphy's law does occasionally happen even to the most experienced. If our brains were hard wired we wouldn't have a problem but no thanks to our interrupted thinking things don't always go according to known precautions.
    Personally I will keep the safety features on my guns.

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I think that, for the average non-LE gun owner, the mag disconnect is more hazard than safety feature.

11. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I think they're just annoying! Makes dry-firing a pita.........

12. buster40c

Your new LC9s has a solid plastic fake mag for the purpose of dry firing. Maybe yours doesn't have that since it doesn't have the mag safety.

13. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

^yeah only the non pro versions come with the orange dummy mag.

14. buster40c

dummy mag ..........did you say DUMMY mag? LOL my gun comes with a dummy mag. Just what are you saying? It has a mag for a dummy?
    Oh heck I shouldn't have started this nonsense.

15. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

HEY, GUYS, I'm sitting right here!!! :confused:

Mag ;) :D

16. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Yeah, you have the dummy lc9s. That's what the non pro version is called

17. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Oops, sorry Mag

18. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Yall know you cant go calling fellow members names...:)

DUMMY Mag...:cryinglaugh:

:cheesy:

Jim

19. buster40c

oh my that sure wasn't seen coming. Yank champion.........Phideaux